Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Slightly confused by the various discussions on Amundsen and Columbus systems.

What's the difference?

When does the changeover happen? (I've ordered mine yesterday and haven't got a build week yet, so assume I'll be getting the newer system?)

Many thanks,

Simon

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Amundsen has a different processor and the navigation graphics aren't as good. Apart from that I believe they function almost identically.

From week 22 of production onwards the Columbus system will be updated with an even faster processor, better graphics and most importantly a 9.2" display like seen in the facelift Octavia.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine is due to be built next week. Prob too late to request a delay. Not that big of an issue anyway really. It may be a tiny bit more responsive but I cant see the graphics being that much better than the current Kodiaq version.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Both Columbuses will have the same functionalities. The new one is going to introduce home screen and loose quick buttons to jump directly to phone/navi/radio/car/.... and no more rotation buttons for zooming or menu navigation.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
romanv said:
Both Columbuses will have the same functionalities. The new one is going to introduce home screen and loose quick buttons to jump directly to phone/navi/radio/car/.... and no more rotation buttons for zooming or menu navigation.
? The current Columbus has a home screen and the capacitive touch buttons to access phone/nav/etc.

New Columbus is just faster with better graphics and a bigger display. Amundsen will stay the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Whilst we're on the subject of the Columbus.... I get the difference in screen size starting wk 22 - mine's being built next week and personally I prefer the capacitive buttons and volume knob (each to their own - everyone loves a good knob to play with!).

Anyway - what I don't understand is the presence of the optical (DVD etc.) drive in the head unit (glovebox). When I configured my car (ordered beginning of March) it listed something like "with SD card slot, without CD drive". I had therefore resigned myself to uploading music/dvds to an SD card. However, some of the first owners with Columbus systems (posted on here and on BriSkoda) seem to have a DVD drive. Does anyone know what's going on - did the initial run have DVD drives, then at a later date DVD drives were removed, and then at wk 22 the screen is changed? Seems like a lot of changes to make in 3 months of production.

Anyone know? Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stupid question......but the week numbers being referred to here......are they an internal Skoda production count or do they relate to the 2017 week numbers? When is "week 22" which is the apparent changeover? I ordered my Kodiaq 2 days ago so obviously no info yet on exact build date, but trying to work out if mine will be after that week 22 "watershed".

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Roman when did you order again? I'm ordering at the end of the month hopefully. I'm almost definite that I'm gonna be past 22 as my dealer said if I order then the car will be here September

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Well, Not being a great radio user I am totally confused.
Mine was built week 9. I have a cd drive (is it single or a 6 stacker?) 2Sd slots and the screen scrolls sideways. So somebody PLEASE tell me what it is. Not that it really matters, I shan't be using it much!

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
Mine was built week 9. I have a cd drive (is it single or a 6 stacker?) 2Sd slots and the screen scrolls sideways. So somebody PLEASE tell me what it is. Not that it really matters, I shan't be using it much!
You are on Columbus gen. 1. Gen. 2 will be from week 22 onwards from what we've gathered.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Ok. Thanks V much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Zach said:
Colin Lambert said:
You are on Columbus gen. 1. Gen. 2 will be from week 22 onwards from what we've gathered.
So... the question is.... do all gen. 1 Columbus systems have a cd/dvd drive? If so, why does the configurator specifically say "With SD card slot without CD drive"?

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
JustJack said:
Zach said:
Colin Lambert said:
So... the question is.... do all gen. 1 Columbus systems have a cd/dvd drive? If so, why does the configurator specifically say "With SD card slot without CD drive"?
I really don't know. Over here in NZ we don't get them.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Savage said:
As far as I am aware, Amusden does not have dvd drive Columbus does.
This week is week 15 in Skoda terms.
Hmm. My configuration says "with SD card slot without CD drive" and it's with Columbus

1 - 20 of 27 Posts