Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have joined the forum really to put what we have experienced in the hope it may help anyone else in the future. Collected our new Kodiaq yesterday, it was everything we expected, until after 10 miles the dash started pinging at us. First was a seatbelt warning for the middle seat in the back, then the 2 outer ones stared flashing, then all 3, this started cycling as we carried on driving. Then the airbag warning light came on, then the SOS function came up as unavailable. Tried stopping the car and starting again, this did nothing, got to our destination and rang our dealer, they told us to not drive the car and sent a technician out. Once he was plugged in he told me all the faults looked to be coming from one airbag switch, the car would have to go back in for further investigation and repair. Today the dealer has rung to let me know it is a connector on the switch that is faulty and the part should be with them tomorrow and hopefully the car be back with us on Monday. A bit disappointed but not throwing any tantrums, yet!. I will update when I get it back.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
OH dear! NOT good. Complain to Customer services in the strongest terms, so that they are aware of the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealer has been really good so far, as they should be, do you think I should I flag it with customer services anyway? Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would, it's a skoda issue not a dealers. I don't think that after paying £30k + for a car and expect it to be right is too much of an expectation

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry to hear that happen to you. Keep us updated on how you go

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car is due back tomorrow, fingers crossed the connector on order does the trick, if it doesn't then I think it's discussion around rejecting the car. I hope not, but as nice as the Yeti is that we have been loaned it's not what we've paid for. I will update tomorrow, hopefully with good news.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Adsdiaq said:
Dealer has been really good so far, as they should be, do you think I should I flag it with customer services anyway? Thanks
Absolutely!. The dealers may not log it with Skoda and it is only if we, as the customers, keep flagging up problems that they will take note of them and report to the factory to take corrective measures.
In your case it may just be a one off dodgy switch. But still worth reporting to Skoda Customer Services.

[email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, after 25 years of driving and many, many cars this is the first one that had broken within the first few miles. I will report it to customer services and fingers crossed it is just a one off fault.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update, got our Bear back today as promised, fault was on a connector to the airbag switch on the passenger side. It's had a good 100 mile spin today with no more faults flashing up. As you can imagine I am relieved it's fixed and over the moon to have finally had a proper drive. Top marks to Des Winks in Scarborough, they did everything they said they would and have given some compensation as a good will gesture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just joined the forum today to check what problems, if any, have been experienced with the Kodiaq's airbag and SOS systems.

We picked-up our new Kodiaq on 30th December. Within 20 hours, after about 30, gentle, miles travelled, the passenger airbag warning light has come on and the maxidot info screen informed us that the SOS system was only partially functional and directed us to the workshop! No accidents, and so far, no plummeting down one of the many cavernous, rain-filled pot-holes we have in these parts.

As the dealer was not open on 31st December or 1st Jan have had to wait until 2nd Jan to book-in for a look-at. Told it would only take a couple of hours to it check-out. Work commitments meant I couldn't get the car to them until Thursday morning 4th Jan. Was then told they needed the car for longer and would be ready on Friday. No communication since 4th, so 'phoned them today (6th) to find out what was happening. Apparently, no-one knows what the problems is so they will 'raise a service-level enquiry with Skoda' on Monday 8th.

This is not my first Skoda and I expected better than this; I hope this is not a bad omen of things to come.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I spoke with Customer services the other day about another matter and mentioned that I was a mod on the forum. I asked him if there had been many complaints about faults, he said that as far as he was aware hardly any. I suggested he read the forum, his reply was that forums are always places where people with problems congregate. This is the second time I have had this comment from a CS agent. I think they have been told how to reply.
Although, of course, all those that are not to some degree, 'petrol heads' don't bother to join forums and nobody ever bothers to say ' My car is absolutely wonderful nothing at all has gone wrong with it.
Any body with faults (me included) shouts long and loud as we should. If you are buying some cheap crap (no names of course) then you could be expected to have some problems. But when you pay £30+k you expect it to be absolutely RIGHT, which as we all know is NOT the case with the Bear unfortunately. It has certainly made me come to the decision that I will NEVER again buy a brand new model until the bugs are sorted out.
I should have learnt from my old Dad who was a manic motorcyclist. Back in the '30's his flat mate came roaring into the flat saying excitedly "Have you seen the new bike Ariel have brought out? It's got FOUR cylinders in a square, I MUST get one". My old man said "You wait, they will have trouble with cooling on the back 2 cylinders & they may well seize up".
Sure enough within 2 miles the 2 back cylinders seized up solid.
The old man waited 6 months until they had solved the problem and he had his 'Squariel' for many happy years with no problems whatsoever.
A lesson for all of us who have had problems, methinks!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unfortunately forums are indeed frequented by people with issues related to their latest product purchase, having the good fortune to live with a warranty exec for an Audi dealers I am often reminded of that fact.

More so of the great joy anyone in the trade feels when a forum user comes in quoting chapter and verse on the fault, "yeah there are 40 on our forum with the issues" and "yes its known to factory and quoting some update number or other"

We are obviously never going to be chuffed when our kodiaq has a niggle or even fails after 20 - 30k + price tag, alas all manufacturers have issues like this. Airbag connectors are a regular feature on skoda stable mates ( the others in the group not just skoda) along with many other items too.

When things go wrong it's not great but they do always try to help, maybe not to our very high expectations but it's help non the less.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Andyman said:
Just joined the forum today to check what problems, if any, have been experienced with the Kodiaq's airbag and SOS systems.

We picked-up our new Kodiaq on 30th December. Within 20 hours, after about 30, gentle, miles travelled, the passenger airbag warning light has come on and the maxidot info screen informed us that the SOS system was only partially functional and directed us to the workshop! No accidents, and so far, no plummeting down one of the many cavernous, rain-filled pot-holes we have in these parts.

As the dealer was not open on 31st December or 1st Jan have had to wait until 2nd Jan to book-in for a look-at. Told it would only take a couple of hours to it check-out. Work commitments meant I couldn't get the car to them until Thursday morning 4th Jan. Was then told they needed the car for longer and would be ready on Friday. No communication since 4th, so 'phoned them today (6th) to find out what was happening. Apparently, no-one knows what the problems is so they will 'raise a service-level enquiry with Skoda' on Monday 8th.

This is not my first Skoda and I expected better than this; I hope this is not a bad omen of things to come.
Andy if you get further issues and would like to know what the fault is before taking it to the dealer who then claims they cannot find a problem then pop up to me in Hawkinge and I will plug VCDS in for you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Esnw33430 said:
Unfortunately forums are indeed frequented by people with issues related to their latest product purchase, having the good fortune to live with a warranty exec for an Audi dealers I am often reminded of that fact.

More so of the great joy anyone in the trade feels when a forum user comes in quoting chapter and verse on the fault, "yeah there are 40 on our forum with the issues" and "yes its known to factory and quoting some update number or other"

We are obviously never going to be chuffed when our kodiaq has a niggle or even fails after 20 - 30k + price tag, alas all manufacturers have issues like this. Airbag connectors are a regular feature on skoda stable mates ( the others in the group not just skoda) along with many other items too.

When things go wrong it's not great but they do always try to help, maybe not to our very high expectations but it's help non the less.
I usually try a slightly different approach, explain the issue then wait for the dealer to comment 'never heard of that before' before asking them to check the TSB concerning the fault that SUK are aware of...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Gizmo, I shall take you up on your offer if I have further problems.

For anyone who thinks I have joined the forum just to have a pop at Skoda, nothing could be further from the truth. My dealer, who was my first port of call, couldn't identify the cause of the fault, after initially saying it would only take a couple of hours to sort out. I then waited for 2 days, with no contact from them. I decided to 'phone them, to ask how things were going. They still didn't know, so I posted on the forum, for any experiences similar in the 9 months since its release in the UK. My dealer has, today, contacted technical support in the UK and I have been told that they have not come across this problem with the Kodiaq in the UK. I am now waiting for them to contact Skoda's European technical head-office to see if anyone in the world has had the same problem.

So far I have not lost faith with the car, I have spent several months waiting for the teething problems to be identified, before ordering one. I have visited the forum several times before, to identify any serious problems with early deliveries. I do know that minor niggles can affect anything new. My main concerns were lack of communication from the dealers I purchased it from and the impression I have been given that I had encountered an entirely unique fault.

I await a satisfactory resolution, so that I can actually drive my new car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good news, my car is back.

The advice from the top tech-team at Skoda was to unplug the wires from the airbag control units, then plug them back in securely -

hey-presto all now seems to be working!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi, been away for a while, just having a read and catch up, as I started the thread I can agree that I started it to inform others and not have a moan. My dealer was exceptional and sorted my fault. I did inform customer services before it was fixed so they had a record of it, as Colin advised, the best thing is to inform CS it may help others. My car has been faultless since, almost 3000 miles and it's been spot on. Forums a great place for information especially when things go wrong, it's sometimes nice to know that others have the same fault and how it was resolved. I feel I have been lucky with my dealer this time but all too often they love to fob off their customers, so yes forums are a place where people put their gripes, most are genuine folk looking for a bit of reassurance that it's not just them. Andyman, if you get anymore trouble with yours with airbag and SOS faults, tell your dealer to ring Des Winks and ask what they did to mine, they replaced a faulty connector but I couldn't tell you which one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The car has now had three visits to the dealer, as the same problem kept recurring. To be fair to them, they have bent over backwards for the last two visits. They have unplugged, then replugged-in everything 'properly' then tried reprogramming the computer. The problem was solved, on the third visit, by replacing a control unit - presumably for the airbags. Three weeks later, no more airbag warnings and no SOS system problems, the car is now fantastic.

Thank you to those who have previously shared their problems and advice. Those of us with a very superficial understanding, of the complex workings of modern cars, appreciate it. Great forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts