Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a bit of an issue with my ACC and undertaking. What ACC seems to do when you undertake someone is warn you via an image of a car on your left that comes into your lane, it then matches speed with that car to prevent you from undertaking. The only way you can then force the car to overtake is to hit the accelorator until you past then resume ACC

I'm actually generally okay with this (although would be nice to disable in an option). My big problem was I've just driven through France where a left hand side UK undertake is their normal overtake, so I actually found the system really difficult to use.

It gets a bit more unusual though, what I discovered:

- Normal ACC is great and makes driving the car on motorways or main roads effortless
- Drove to France. The only setting I could find to change the car into European mode was a setting in the lights to turn it to right hand drive light mode, and a setting in the units to turn it to KM rather than miles
- On arriving in France car realises its there and shows a screen with french speed limits for various types of roads (very useful addition)
- Had an 800km drive. For the first 300km or so the ACC was completely unusable, with every time I overtook a car it registered it as an undertake and slowed the car down, forcing me to manually takeover. Was actually quite dangerous as I'd pull out to overtake someone and the car would sometimes break quite forcefully to prevent me overtaking
- After around 300km (and with no change of settings etc from me) I noticed that it had started working normally, and from my perspective had 'learned' that I was on the other side of the road and acted normally. The remaining 500km was perfectly normal
- My return trip of 800km was also perfectly normal, until I got back into the UK and once again it prevented me from overtaking, presumably still applying the wrong side of the road calculation. My entire drive back from the channel tunnel to London was a nightmare with the car trying to prevent me from doing any overtakes
- As soon as I got back into the UK I changed the only 2 settings (lights and KM) on the car so that wasn't it

I'm at a real loss to how the car decides what side of the car is classed as an overtake and when it tries to stop you. Based on my experience above I can only hope that the car 'learns' that I'm now back in the UK and adjusts - but I can't find any settings for this.

Anyone any ideas on this or has anyone tried driving it abroad?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do you leave ACC permanently enabled but inactive?

A lot of these kind of settings necessitate turning the system fully off and then back on again.

Do you have LED headlights and Columbus - if so, you shouldn't have to do anything to switch the lights over, and hopefully ACC as well, it should be automatic, and so should be the Left Hand Traffic or Right Hand Traffic setting based on GPS position.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In my experience the ACC does not differentiate to prohibit undertaking, if that was the case in NZ it would be useless, Kiwi drivers are shockers for poor lane discipline. The numpty's here sit at 95-99 km/h in the outside lane refusing to budge, the limit is 100km/h, so you have to undertake if you want to make progress. The action is not in itself illegal (as long as you don't speed). I have found that once the carriageway is clear in front, left or right, then the system responds correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Having driven thousands of UK miles with ACC, I also can confirm my car does not limit undertaking. If the lane you are in is clear then it goes the requested speed regardless. Cheers

AndyH said:
In my experience the ACC does not differentiate to prohibit undertaking, if that was the case in NZ it would be useless, Kiwi drivers are shockers for poor lane discipline. The numpty's here sit at 95-99 km/h in the outside lane refusing to budge, the limit is 100km/h, so you have to undertake if you want to make progress. The action is not in itself illegal (as long as you don't speed). I have found that once the carriageway is clear in front, left or right, then the system responds correctly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
'Do you have LED headlights and Columbus - if so, you shouldn't have to do anything to switch the lights over, and hopefully ACC as well, it should be automatic, and so should be the Left Hand Traffic or Right Hand Traffic setting based on GPS position. Image'

Are you sure the LED lights and speed changes with the GPS position? You would think it would also change the clock if it did.

I recently sat on the dock at Dover , put my rout in and changed Light , Setting to left hand driving and Units to Km. I did not bother with clock change,
It did not change MPG to Lt. either .
I am thinking all that would be a bit to clever, even for Skoda!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mountee said:
Having driven thousands of UK miles with ACC, I also can confirm my car does not limit undertaking. If the lane you are in is clear then it goes the requested speed regardless. Cheers
Not on the MY18 Kodiaq - it tracks the speed of the traffic in your lane, and the lane to the outside of you when at 'normal' speeds - it quite often shows the graphic on the instrument cluster for the car in the adjacent lane. If you are travelling in congestion it doesn't track the lane next to you in my experience.

P248 of the manual - RTFM.
Regulation according to the vehicle in the adjacent lane
During regulation your vehicle may be regulated according to the vehicle in the
adjacent lane.
This could occur at speeds above about 80 km/h when your vehicle is moving
faster than the vehicle in the adjacent lane on the driver's side. The display
shows the detected vehicle is in the adjacent lane

·
Registered
407 Posts
RCRCRC said:
'Do you have LED headlights and Columbus - if so, you shouldn't have to do anything to switch the lights over, and hopefully ACC as well, it should be automatic, and so should be the Left Hand Traffic or Right Hand Traffic setting based on GPS position. Image'

Are you sure the LED lights and speed changes with the GPS position? You would think it would also change the clock if it did.

I recently sat on the dock at Dover , put my rout in and changed Light , Setting to left hand driving and Units to Km. I did not bother with clock change,
It did not change MPG to Lt. either .
I am thinking all that would be a bit to clever, even for Skoda!
As I said, if you have Columbus and LED headlights, it WILL change the lights to tourist mode when you go abroad. I had a problem with my Octavia 3 where the GPS antenna failed so the Columbus thought I was in Wolfsburg and put my Xenons in to tourist mode (flattens the beam and turns off AFS). It had changed the setting in the Columbus to 'Right hand traffic' by itself.

I wouldn't expect it to change to km/h, litres etc or change the clock.

I was hoping that with the change from LH Traffic to RH Traffic the ACC would also take this in to account. Perhaps the fact that you changed it manually confused it?

As I asked, had you returned the ACC stalk back to the 'OFF' position - some settings do not take effect unless ACC is completely off - for instance you can change the default distance from the infotainment screen but it will have no effect until ACC is turned off and back on again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine dose not have ACC, just the lane keeping thing if you doze off................
I was thinking that as I changed my settings at Dover it might not have changed the light but if I had left them alone when I got to France It would have changed them anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting thought about returning the lever to the full off position rather than just cancel. Didn't think it could be something as simple as that - will give it a go next time I'm out in it and see if it's sort of reset to UK mode.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for your post. My kodiak has all driving aids available, and yet doesn't do what you describe, interesting. It also doesn't have a dashboard symbol showing cars to the side, nor does it detect cars to the side except for blind spot warning indicators for the mirrors. I might ring the dealer and see if it's a software upgrade I need. Mine was one of the first UK cars...

andyvee said:
Mountee said:
Not on the MY18 Kodiaq - it tracks the speed of the traffic in your lane, and the lane to the outside of you when at 'normal' speeds - it quite often shows the graphic on the instrument cluster for the car in the adjacent lane. If you are travelling in congestion it doesn't track the lane next to you in my experience.

adjacent lane.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Maybe the OP has the Edition model which has lane assist as standard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine does exactly what is discribed above. I have to admit it's a very sporadic system and doesn't always do it - interesting wording in the manual that it MAY happen

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mountee said:
Thanks for your post. My kodiak has all driving aids available, and yet doesn't do what you describe, interesting. It also doesn't have a dashboard symbol showing cars to the side, nor does it detect cars to the side except for blind spot warning indicators for the mirrors. I might ring the dealer and see if it's a software upgrade I need. Mine was one of the first UK cars...

andyvee said:
Mountee said:

adjacent lane.
It isn't a dashboard indicator, it shows it in the ACC view on the maxidot, in fact it switches automatically (briefly) to this view when it detects another vehicle it is tracking the speed of, either directly ahead or in the adjacent lane

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've just checked the manual for the 2017MY Kodiaq and the same is in there on P243

1 - 15 of 15 Posts