Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm from Horsham in West Sussex. Previous owner of a Land Rover Discovery Sport but got rid of it due poor build quality and repeat defects!

I'm new to the Skoda brand but love the Kodiaq, have been crawling over the newly-delivered showroom models, with test drive later this week. Finalising my spec (almost certainly an SE L plus extras, though tempted by the Edition), so I'm particularly interested on this forum to get views on.....

- Dynamic Chassis Control.....is it worth it (I am going for the top end Diesel engine with DSG gearbox and like a firm sporty ride)
- Sunroof......is it worth it (I had the glass roof in my previous LR and loved the extra light)
- Canton sound.....is it worth the extra?
- and various others e.g. Adaptive cruise control, etc.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's a personal decision over spec. I stuck with Edition as it gives me better residuals than a lower trim and adding spec to it, but also increased safety features for my family. I don't have my car yet - expecting early May as being built this week.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Check my spec in signature. Few points:

1) I find adaptive cruise control very useful in crawling traffic, and it's only £300.

2) I've heard mixed reviews about Alcantara so chose leather.

3) DCC is useful to have IMO. 50% reviews say it's useful and the rest 50% say it's not. I decided to stick to 2WD because I'll never go off road, and 4WD increases weight and affects mileage. DCC isn't available with 2WD.

4) I chose petrol over diesel because my main driving is going to be in city and I won't do more than 10000 miles. Diesel cars prefer lot of motorway runs. Besides, with all the bad press about diesel, petrol was a safer option.

5) Telegraph review advised rear view camera in addition to rear parking sensors, so I added it only last weekend.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Welcome Simon

DCC - I have it on my Superb and love it so much so I will order it on the next car
Sunroof - personally don't like them, got one in the Yeti which has been open a handful of times in 3 years, but if you like them then go for it.
Canton - again impressed with it in the Superb
ACC - yes it's good (Superb has it) BUT if it is between CC or ACC then I will be sticking to the std (free) CC as I do miss it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
ACC has CC built-in, so why are you missing it?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Because there are times (quiet traffic) that I would like the active bit turned off, the car brakes and slows far too early (100 yards away from the car in front) I have the distance set to 'very close' as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sunroof was the only must have for me - makes it a lot brighter in the cabin especially for those stuck in the cheap seats at the back!

I went for the edition in the end after some haggling. I knew I wanted metallic paint chrome rails and leather - by time you add those onto sel you're over half the difference to edition.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On PCH i found it was only £10 a month more for edition over se l so I went for it with full leather, blind spot wireless charging etc as the difference.

I added heated front screen as this is a nice to have and canton sound. The electric tow bar is expensive but didn't want to risk dealer fit ones not being available straight away plus it won't interfere with rear sensors.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all.....really appreciate this info.

Time for an "Edition versus SE L spreadsheet" to work out the monthly cost differential by the time I've loaded the SE L with a list of selected extras!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
Because there are times (quiet traffic) that I would like the active bit turned off, the car brakes and slows far too early (100 yards away from the car in front) I have the distance set to 'very close' as well.
Surely, you won't use cruise control in those situations anyway, and ACC will not stop you from applying brakes (which would disengage ACC).

ACC isn't ideal when approaching a roundabout, or when there's a slight turn in the road and the car ahead has stopped.....The car doesn't pick up the obstacle early enough, resulting in sudden brake and jerk. It's best to not engage ACC during these times, or disengage by applying a slight brake. But most other times, it's extremely useful.

·
Registered
314 Posts
bigboss said:
Surely, you won't use cruise control in those situations anyway, and ACC will not stop you from applying brakes (which would disengage ACC).
Not sure I understand your logic, CC is perfect when the roads are not that busy, when they get busy is when ACC comes into its own IMO.

bigboss said:
ACC isn't ideal when approaching a roundabout, or when there's a slight turn in the road and the car ahead has stopped.....The car doesn't pick up the obstacle early enough, resulting in sudden brake and jerk. It's best to not engage ACC during these times, or disengage by applying a slight brake. But most other times, it's extremely useful.
Agreed, I always flick it off when approaching roundabouts etc as it doesn't start slowing early enough for my liking, so then needs to brake harder to stop in time.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
bigboss said:
Not sure I understand your logic, CC is perfect when the roads are not that busy, when they get busy is when ACC comes into its own IMO.
I'm just trying to understand a situation where you only want CC but not ACC, because as per your post, that's what you would want:

Gizmo68 said:
I would keep ACC on, and when situations like above arise, I disengage ACC, and apply it back when conditions are better. ACC is more likely to keep you safe than CC, because it reacts to the car in front.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A question (I can try it tomorrow!) I've had CC on my last car's but never ACC, so can you have the CC on without the A? Or does the system all work together?

Tomorrow will be very strange as I have been driving a Santa Fes for the last 11 years, can't wait!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
In the driving aids setup menu there may be an option to turn it off like Lane Assist

·
Registered
617 Posts
Paymaster said:
A question (I can try it tomorrow!) I've had CC on my last car's but never ACC, so can you have the CC on without the A? Or does the system all work together?

Tomorrow will be very strange as I have been driving a Santa Fes for the last 11 years, can't wait!
CC is standard, and ACC is a £300 option. As explained, I cannot think of a single situation when you would want CC but not ACC. On motorways, I find ACC extremely useful; the car slows down when the car ahead slows down, and speeds up when the car ahead does. This is unlike CC where you'll have to apply brake if the car ahead slows down which switches off CC, and turning it back on when the car ahead speeds up. In such traffic, you're unlikely to employ CC, but ACC can still be used.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't go for the ACC as always assumed that it would position the car so far behind the one in front for safety reasons that cheeky muppets would continually zap into the gap from the middle lane.
Not that I treat motorway driving like a competition or anything....
Can you set it so it keeps you right up the car in front's chuff?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yes, you can set the distance from the car in front.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
bigboss said:
Check my spec in signature. Few points
1) I find adaptive cruise control very useful in crawling traffic, and it's only £300
2) I've heard mixed reviews about Alcantara so chose leather.

3) DCC is useful to have IMO. 50% reviews say it's useful and the rest 50% say it's not. I decided to stick to 2WD because I'll never go off road, and 4WD increases weight and affects mileage. DCC isn't available with 2WD.

4) I chose petrol over diesel because my main driving is going to be in city and I won't do more than 10000 miles. Diesel cars prefer lot of motorway runs. Besides, with all the bad press about diesel, petrol was a safer option.

5) Telegraph review advised rear view camera in addition to rear parking sensors, so I added it only last weekend.
!. Can't comment I'm afraid, never had it.
2. I have always had leather, But after seeing a revolting video about how the cows are treated by the firm that supplies most of the leather to the car industry, never again. I quizzed my dealer about Alcantara and he said it is brilliant, very hard wearing, you can scrub it, shampoo it etc etc . It doesn't show the dirt (we'll see about that! I have got beige :shock:
3. DCC. Every video road test I have seen says it is not worth the money as the difference it makes is minimal.
4. Petrol. If you don't need to tow or do serious off roading (which it is not designed for) Go for petrol before the 'Gumment' screw derv drivers and the residuals drop through the floor because of it.I can only compare Yeti diesel against petrol and my 1.2 DSG Yeti does more to the gallon than the diesels in most cases and is 3ppl a cheaper to buy, apart from the initial cost of the vehicle. Diesel is going to become a 'hasbeen' fuel IMHO.
5. Rear camera AND sensors is the best way to go if you can warrant the extra cost. Camera on it's own, almost useless, as it won't see round the corners as sensors do. At least the 'Simply clever' department has had the intelligence to fit a washer jet for the camera. Others who don't make the camera useless after a long wet drive as being 'slab backed', SUVs suck in all the road [email protected] behind them and obscure the lens. So you have to get out, clean it, get back in and then reverse. Defeats the object really doesn't it!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Now my car is locked down and could be on the line any day this week my options were the following and the reasons why I chose them:

Automated box/DSG: convenience and reduces future left knee osteoarthritis

2WD and consequently no DCC: I don't plan off road excursions. Haldex system is extra weight, running cost and maintenance.

Heated windscreen/washers: comes as a pair. Had one before and made a lot of difference in autumn and winter with quick defrosting and reducing condensation. Ultimately reduced engine idle time before setting off.

Child pack: rear electronic locks, blinds and side door bin for less than blinds themselves. This was an option I just had to have. My OCD doesn't like suction cup blinds - they leave marks on the glass and you can't operate the window when its on. Tried window sock too. Works but if it needs to come off mid journey when little one says he wants to look out the window, I have to stop the car.

Front passenger isofix: future proofing car for family expansion, or child and I going out to Swedish furniture store expecting a massive haul and all back seats have to be flattened.

Canton/space saver: I wouldn't have got this but for the pre-order offer. Used to "higher end" audio but when on the move it matters less. Will see how it compares to B+W from Jag, ML system from 2nd gen IS and BMW B+O as my comparitors.

Heated steering wheel: why not? If I am the family taxi driver, is it wrong to do it in comfort?

Travel assist: like the idea, had it once in a rental car and was helpful on unknown roads. Probably could live without this. Can see Kodiaq being used for staycations and unfamiliar roads etc.

Rear camera: I don't really need this as other family car is manual and no parking sensors and very basic. That keeps my skills up. Got used to having a back up camera on recent cars and seems a backwards step for me not having it.

Ambient lighting: keeps wife happy. Therefore it is an essential option! Being serious, I don't think this adds to the driving experience and I could have done without it.

Will report back once car is here as to whether my options were well chosen or things I could have done without.

·
Registered
617 Posts
MoominPapa said:
Now my car is locked down and could be on the line any day this week my options were the following and the reasons why I chose them:

Automated box/DSG: convenience and reduces future left knee osteoarthritis

2WD and consequently no DCC: I don't plan off road excursions. Haldex system is extra weight, running cost and maintenance.

Heated windscreen/washers: comes as a pair. Had one before and made a lot of difference in autumn and winter with quick defrosting and reducing condensation. Ultimately reduced engine idle time before setting off.

Child pack: rear electronic locks, blinds and side door bin for less than blinds themselves. This was an option I just had to have. My OCD doesn't like suction cup blinds - they leave marks on the glass and you can't operate the window when its on. Tried window sock too. Works but if it needs to come off mid journey when little one says he wants to look out the window, I have to stop the car.

Front passenger isofix: future proofing car for family expansion, or child and I going out to Swedish furniture store expecting a massive haul and all back seats have to be flattened.

Canton/space saver: I wouldn't have got this but for the pre-order offer. Used to "higher end" audio but when on the move it matters less. Will see how it compares to B+W from Jag, ML system from 2nd gen IS and BMW B+O as my comparitors.

Heated steering wheel: why not? If I am the family taxi driver, is it wrong to do it in comfort?

Travel assist: like the idea, had it once in a rental car and was helpful on unknown roads. Probably could live without this. Can see Kodiaq being used for staycations and unfamiliar roads etc.

Rear camera: I don't really need this as other family car is manual and no parking sensors and very basic. That keeps my skills up. Got used to having a back up camera on recent cars and seems a backwards step for me not having it.

Ambient lighting: keeps wife happy. Therefore it is an essential option! Being serious, I don't think this adds to the driving experience and I could have done without it.

Will report back once car is here as to whether my options were well chosen or things I could have done without.
Great explanations, especially osteoarthritis reasoning! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts