Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - I'm just about to order my Kodiaq having finalised my spec over a few months but have just been thrown a few curve balls meaning that I have to drop a few things so I'm looking for some advise on what you think is the best thing to drop.

I had a spec with a list price £40,375 (I'll pay much less after dealer discount / PCP contribution / free services / £1K fuel card) but I then found out that any new car with a list price of over £40K will be hit by £310 p/a additional road tax fro years 2-6 so that extra £375 will cost me an extra £1550. I dropped a few things to get me under £40K (virtual pedal / automatic rear seat folding / car mats and tablet holder - the last 2 of which I can get easily after purchase anyway) and thought all was good. The dealer then tells me that the first year road tax on diesels increases £200 to £515 before my delivery date so I'm back over £40K by £300 odd so I'm back to square.

Now I have a harder decision.

This is my current spec:-

Basic Stuff:
KODIAQ EDITION (7 seats)
2.0 TDI 150 PS 4x4 DSG

Extra equipment:
Rear side airbags << Safety so can't drop this
Temporary steel space saver spare wheel (7 seater) 145/85 R18 (PJE) << don't like foam so won't drop this
Electrically folding tow bar with adaptor (PK0) << don't need this at the mo but likely to tow in the future so would prefer factory fitted from day 1
Heated windscreen (PKV) << Have had fords before and these are great so would prefer to keep this
Heated leather Multi-function steering wheel with paddles (PLE) << Have had manuals before. Auto is for the other half would but I would prefer the chance for a quicker change if overtaking. Having read peeps opinions on here they are generally positive.
Traffic sign recognition (PWD) << I like tech & this doesn't save enough by dropping
Assistance package (PWH) << Safety so can't drop this
Electric child safety lock with rear window roller blinds (PXC) << 2 youngish kids so need this
Media command (RA5) << I like tech & this doesn't save enough by dropping
Heated washer nozzles for front windscreen (9T1) - mandatory with heated windscreen
Crew protection assist (7W2) << mandatory with rear airbags
Folding table on front seat backrests (1U9) << good for kids and doesn't save enough anyway
Driver alert system (EM1) << I like tech & this doesn't save enough by dropping
Personalisation of drive mode selection (8QG) << I like tech & this doesn't save enough by dropping

So that leaves 2 biggies that have some overlap and I'm probably going to have to drop / re-think one of these:

Park assist (PPA)
Area view with rear LED lights high (PWG)

My basic question to you all is, in your opinion, would I be better off either :-

A. sticking with Park Assist and replacing Area View with the Rear View camera (I still think the rear view camera would be useful on this car - I have a Mondeo estate and I'd appreciate it on that TBH).
or
B. sticking with Area View, drop Park Assist but add front/rear parking sensors.

Basically do you think 360 cameras or 360 sensors (which adds a self park ability which I may or may not use much) is more useful?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
First of all Mike,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure there will be many differing opinions on what to keep and what to drop.
I'm afraid I don't have time at the moment to add up all the bits and bobs that you say are not worth dropping. But what do they come to ALL TOGETHER? That figure MAY be worth it
For what it is worth I have put in red what I would drop , with reasons.
I also like tech but being retired and on a company + State pension I had to keep mine under £30 K cash!
Had I been able to afford it I would have gone for most of what you have gone for just for the hell of it. But with my sensible head on you can see below what I went for.
So here we go!

m1k3y7 said:
This is my current spec:-

Basic Stuff:
KODIAQ EDITION (7 seats)
2.0 TDI 150 PS 4x4 DSG Drop the diesel and go 2.OL TSi This of course depends on annual mileage and what, if anything you want to tow in the future. Below 15k miles a year, don't even consider derv.

Extra equipment:
Rear side airbags << Safety so can't drop this
Temporary steel space saver spare wheel (7 seater) 145/85 R18 (PJE) << don't like foam so won't drop this
Electrically folding tow bar with adaptor (PK0) << don't need this at the mo but likely to tow in the future so would prefer factory fitted from day 1
Heated windscreen (PKV) << Have had fords before and these are great so would prefer to keep this. I too have had heated windscreen in the past. Depends on where you live. But down here in Poole an unnecessary luxury.
Heated leather Multi-function steering wheel with paddles (PLE) << Have had manuals before. Auto is for the other half would but I would prefer the chance for a quicker change if overtaking. Having read peeps opinions on here they are generally positive. I have had 4 cars with paddles. IMHO a complete waste of time. If you want to change quickly, either kick down or shift into manual and 'row' it. I never have a problem using this method on mine. (but then I am a doddery old [email protected] I expect those that think they are great are a lot younger than I am !)
Traffic sign recognition (PWD) << I like tech & this doesn't save enough by dropping. *Add to others and if total is worth it~ drop it!(or go to Specsavers!
Assistance package (PWH) << Safety so can't drop this
Electric child safety lock with rear window roller blinds (PXC) << 2 youngish kids so need this
Media command (RA5) << I like tech & this doesn't save enough by dropping. *
Heated washer nozzles for front windscreen (9T1) - mandatory with heated windscreen. See heated windscreen
Crew protection assist (7W2) << mandatory with rear airbags
Folding table on front seat backrests (1U9) << good for kids and doesn't save enough anyway *
Driver alert system (EM1) << I like tech & this doesn't save enough by dropping *
Personalisation of drive mode selection (8QG) << I like tech & this doesn't save enough by dropping *

So that leaves 2 biggies that have some overlap and I'm probably going to have to drop / re-think one of these:

Park assist (PPA) This is the biggest car I have owned (out of 74 to date) and I have no problem parking it. I would however go for front and rear 'beepers'
Area view with rear LED lights high (PWG) IMHO a very nice but totally unnecessary gizmo. just something else to go wrong

My basic question to you all is, in your opinion, would I be better off either :-
As far as the options below are concerned. I would drop park assist , rear view camera and area view. Area view and park assist covered above and as far as rear camera is concerned, I too have had rear camera and I can't see the benefit over the Skoda front and back sensor system. It gives you a very clear idea of an impending impact and how far away it is. Have you seen it in action? If not please do so, you could save loadsa££ No rear view camera I have ever seen can see round the corners of the car, whereas the beepers do just that

Hope all this helps. Whatever you decide. Enjoy it.

A. sticking with Park Assist and replacing Area View with the Rear View camera (I still think the rear view camera would be useful on this car - I have a Mondeo estate and I'd appreciate it on that TBH).
or
B. sticking with Area View, drop Park Assist but add front/rear parking sensors.

Basically do you think 360 cameras or 360 sensors (which adds a self park ability which I may or may not use much) is more useful?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would drop aerial view personally. It's a good feature, but poor value for money.

Also I drove cars with DSG flappy paddles for 7 years and only used them probably a dozen times. Not that I needed the paddles those times either - I was just playing with it because I had it.
Heated steering wheel I have never felt the need for. If it's that cold I will be wearing gloves regardless.

I have the rear camera and find it useful. The sensors alone don't pick up everything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was lucky enough to get a well specced showroom car, took a little of the decision making out of the equation 🤔 but benefit was 24 hour test drive on a Wed/Thur and drive New car out of dealership in the following Monday 😄. I've now had the car for 3 weeks and out of your list, which is always going to be personal, I'd drop the Park Assist. I've used it once and although a nice trick I don't think I'd have chosen this if I was building the car from scratch. I'd definitely have the sensors & rear camera though.
Although not in your question and if it affects your overall pricing you might have a look at the petrol options. I moved from a 2.2 diesel Merc & have no problem with the 1.4. It's quiet & didn't feel under powered. Oh and I'd not bother with flappy paddles on this type of car.
Overall I've found the Kodiaq to be a great car so far. My wife loves it too as do our grandkids (who are constantly using voice commands for their music choice) 😂. The youngest has commandeered the back row of seats as his space.
Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
I would agree with Colin, drop the diesel and go for the new 190PS 2.0 TSI (10PS more than the old unit).

How much is Area View? I'd have it over Park Assist. Don't bother with Traffic Sign Recognition as this can be coded in by someone for no cost - https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

I've got Park Assist and Area View myself, and I definitely use the features of Area View more (front wide angle when at junctions with limited visibility is a great hand) than Park Assist. Only have used Park Assist a handful of times, only as a party trick.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The first thing I'd chuck would be the flappy paddles. The DSG is pretty clever and you'll find it rapidly drops 2 or 3 gears if you plant it. No disrespect but I doubt you would do it better. You can do it manually anyway by nudging the stick but you'll soon forget about the idea and not want to bother.
Then I'd drop the electronic child lock and window blinds. The with two kids the child lock will constantly be on, it'll actually be less likely to malfunction with the manual one. As for the window blinds, there's the convenience that you can pull them up and down on demand but their coverage isn't very good. These guys here will kit you out with custom blinds for all the back windows (all 5 of them) for £70/£80 and they're very good https://www.uvcarshades.co.uk/shades-c-2729.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAn5rUBRA3EiwAUCWb2xdA7WLXf9MmemdR4JkBMmxIESfoKqMS71i4cixtClN39-vKYrCEhhoCQzQQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
76 Posts
Zach said:
I would agree with Colin, drop the diesel and go for the new 190PS 2.0 TSI (10PS more than the old unit).

How much is Area View? I'd have it over Park Assist. Don't bother with Traffic Sign Recognition as this can be coded in by someone for no cost - https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

I've got Park Assist and Area View myself, and I definitely use the features of Area View more (front wide angle when at junctions with limited visibility is a great hand) than Park Assist. Only have used Park Assist a handful of times, only as a party trick.
190PS 2.0 TSI (10PS more than the old unit). not out till end of the year

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI Folks
First time on so not quite sure if I've done this correctly!

"The dealer then tells me that the first year road tax on diesels increases £200 to £515 before my delivery date so I'm back over £40K by £300 odd so I'm back to square."

From GOV.UK
"You have to pay an extra £310 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a 'list price' (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).

Check the list price with your dealer so you know how much vehicle tax you'll have to pay."

Is it not the case that the tax is added to the "list price" and therefore in this case should not push the car over the threshold (otherwise you are being taxed on a tax)or am I missing something? That is how company car tax is calculated.....

"The P11D value of a car is made up of the list price of the vehicle inc VAT, plus the cost of any factory fit options you may have chosen to add to the vehicle plus the delivery charge. It does not include the car's first registration fee or the annual road tax."

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rayskoda said:
HI Folks
First time on so not quite sure if I've done this correctly!

"The dealer then tells me that the first year road tax on diesels increases £200 to £515 before my delivery date so I'm back over £40K by £300 odd so I'm back to square."

From GOV.UK
"You have to pay an extra £310 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a 'list price' (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).

Check the list price with your dealer so you know how much vehicle tax you'll have to pay."

Is it not the case that the tax is added to the "list price" and therefore in this case should not push the car over the threshold (otherwise you are being taxed on a tax)or am I missing something? That is how company car tax is calculated.....

"The P11D value of a car is made up of the list price of the vehicle inc VAT, plus the cost of any factory fit options you may have chosen to add to the vehicle plus the delivery charge. It does not include the car's first registration fee or the annual road tax."
did you get your quote through carwow?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi aimlisted

OOps I obviously have not formatted my reply to m1k3y7 correctly as It was his quote

("The dealer then tells me that the first year road tax on diesels increases £200 to £515 before my delivery date so I'm back over £40K by £300 odd so I'm back to square.")

that I was responding to.

I did not personally use Carwow ( most of the deals seem to require PCP/finance which I did not need).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rayskoda said:
Hi aimlisted

OOps I obviously have not formatted my reply to m1k3y7 correctly as It was his quote

("The dealer then tells me that the first year road tax on diesels increases £200 to £515 before my delivery date so I'm back over £40K by £300 odd so I'm back to square.")

I did not personally use Carwow ( most of the deals seem to require PCP/finance which I did not need).
you can take PCP Finance out and pay it all off after just one payment. There is no penatily for paying it off early and you get the £2000 contrbution from skoda plus 2 free services and and three years of roadside assist. I didnt want to take it out either and I will be paying it off straight away. ive double checked that there is not penalty and my dealer encouraged me to do it. Carwow quotes include on the road price including road tax and registration. With the £1000 fuel card that can be spent on anything it works to almost 15% of list price

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the replies so far - lots to think about.

I think I'll drop the flappy paddles (wasn't bothered about the heated steering wheel but that's how it comes anyway). I'm definitely rethinking the diesel/petrol choice - I don't do the miles to benefit from diesel anyway so that's a good call (was just sticking with what I already have - if there's a time to change then it's now I guess).

RE road tax etc my understanding is that from 1st of April the 1st years road tax for a diesel will jump from £200 to £500 (not £515 as the dealer initially said) and this is added to the list price which pushed me over £40K. Then once you are over £40K you have to pay an extra £310 p/a for years 2-6 on top of the existing road tax rate (currently £140) so it'd be £450 p/a from years 2-6.

I've just double-checked and this article explains it:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88361/tax-disc-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

From April this year the first year road tax for the 180PS Petrol goes up £300 also, from £500 to £800. The petrol is about £300 cheaper list price so no real change going from Diesel to Petrol.

Mike

·
Registered
141 Posts
aimlisted said:
Rayskoda said:
Hi aimlisted

you can take PCP Finance out and pay it all off after just one payment. There is no penatily for paying it off early and you get the £2000 contrbution from skoda plus 2 free services and and three years of roadside assist. I didnt want to take it out either and I will be paying it off straight away. ive double checked that there is not penalty and my dealer encouraged me to do it. Carwow quotes include on the road price including road tax and registration. With the £1000 fuel card that can be spent on anything it works to almost 15% of list price
That's what I'm going to do; get pcp deal then pay it off via a loan or credit cards. My dealer just said if I could pay the first three payments they won't get hit with a bill...

·
Registered
30 Posts
We tried to pay off via credit card, but not allowed as it would be paying credit with credit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re PCP & £2,000 contribution. The finance agreement needs to be paid off within 14 days (right to cancel). If you do that you retain the £2,000 contribution. If you don't you're committed to the agreement & interest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is that correct? I was under the impression that if you paid the finance under right to cancel, you are cancelling the finance and therefore loosing any benefits that you received as part of that deal (i.e the deposit contribution).

I would have thought that getting a settlement figure on day 15 of the agreement makes more sense as you are still taking out finance and therefore entitled to the perks of that and only paying interest on 15 days of finance.

I have previously settled finance prior to the end of an agreement and this has never been an issue. Is anyone clear on the VW/Skoda T's and C's regarding this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, right to withdrawal clause gives 14 days. The credit agreement is net of the £2,000 contribution and this is what is being cancelled. The dealer I dealt with pointed all this out stressing the need to pay off within the 14 days. As far as I understand the funding is effectively coming from Skoda, the dealer gets paid the full amount but is a means to getting a discount. I'd imagine that if a lot of buyers exercise the right to withdraw Skoda may remove this offer in the future.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was told by my dealer wait for one payment to go through and then settle the pcp the next day. I will get charged one month interest and a £10 admin. You can settle at any time and just pay the interest and the £10 admin fee. You don't want tot cancel you want to settle

·
Registered
19 Posts
I may not fully understand this but I can't see how getting the 2k dealer contribution purely related to taking out a PCP agreement and then, cancelling under the 14 day cooling off period, which effectively means that the agreement never existed, can result in still receiving the contribution? While continuing until day 15 is somehow detrimental?

Anyway, sorry for highjacking the thread but as my intention is to clear the finance within the first month, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has taken out the pcp and cleared it (either before or after day 14).

I'd always be dubious about the dealer explanation of the finance kickbacks etc as obviously it doesn't necessarily work in their favour and would rather read the finance agreement to get the true details.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had three new cars through PCP before I order my kodiaq and each time I simply settled the finance after around 20, 24 and 28 months.

IMO the only real point in settling the finance is if you can find a better APR rate and in my experience the finance company couldn't care less

1 - 20 of 24 Posts