Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone from Derbyshire. I have just joined the forum and I am looking to use the great wealth of information here to decide on the right model for me. I will be new to skoda brand coming across from Landrover mainly due to LR reliability issues on new or nearly new vehicles. The final straw was in the middle of France a few weeks ago when my quite new LR (gearbox)decided to fail. I was towing a caravan with family and it let me down so now looking at the competition.
Very interested in the 0kg towing weight issue for 7 seater manual cars.. it's putting me off a little but 150 PS SEL 5 seat I think you can spec with manual but dealers are confused I'm afraid. Clarity needed Skoda!
All the best Philip

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Welcome Philip,
I don't tow I'm afraid so can offer little help.
There are plenty here who will help you I'm sure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Philip66 said:
Very interested in the 0kg towing weight issue for 7 seater manual cars.. it's putting me off a little but 150 PS SEL 5 seat I think you can spec with manual but dealers are confused I'm afraid. Clarity needed Skoda!
The 7 seat 2.0 tdi's cannot tow .. ever. All we know from Skoda is that they are not homologated for towing, which means they haven't got 'type approval', and as the individual cars are 'plated' as 0kg for towing, will never legally be able to have a tow bar fitted. The reasoning for this is subject to much speculation but no explanation I've seen from Skoda themselves or SUK. Oddly the DSG's and 5 seaters can tow.
Personally, I've towed caravans with my manual 2.0tdi Octavias and have always preferred a manual. However, although great tow cars generally, the dry clutch does have it's burning / slipping moments. So after a fair amount of research I am opting for a DSG this time with it's wet clutch system hopefully making it the ideal tow car. Also going for 5 seats, as the towing limits are increased from 2000 to 2300kg and nose weight up to 100kg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank youH2UBS for taking the time to respond. I too have always had manuals perhaps to retain more control when driving and towing so the move to an auto box I'd look at carefully but the seven seat thing is pointless to me as my kids have grown up and o carry 5 people max. I'd prefer the extra stowage space actually. In SEL trim I was hoping to get a 190 5 seater with the auto box as I believe there are some good offers to be had. I sometimes put bikes on the tailgate (never a problem with the 150kg LR) but might be a better skoda solution with roof bars. Agree the lower hitch force might be a problem with the 7 seater so will steer clear of that one. Thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is it not just the 150 that can not tow, I thought the 190 could ...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can't really understand the reasoning behind the English approvals as here in DK the 7 seater 150 DSG can row up to 1800 kgs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Same in Sweden. The DSG 190 tows 2000kgs.

JoHn

·
Registered
137 Posts
ALL DSGs can tow it's only the manual gearbox models which have a problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts