·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into buying the Kodiaq, my options are limited to:
1. 150 PS TSI DSG6 4WD.
2. 150 PS TDI DSG7 2WD.
3. 180 PS TSI DSG7 4WD.

If I could get the TDI 4WD, there would be no dilemma, I'd get it.
I"m afraid from the performance of the 1.4 TSI on the one hand and the fuel consumption of the 2.0 TSI from the other.

How crucial is the 4WD to handling and grip?
I'm not looking for off road capabilities, but do want the grip and control 4WD can offer. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
The 4WD wouldn't drastically change how the car drives and handles in the dry IMO (maybe some torque steer on the 150PS TDI) but on wet surfaces will definitely have more grip when accelerating. If you're only doing the school run and the occasional weekend trip then the 1.4 should suffice however I would probably get the 2.0 TSI if you're going to be doing any more than that. The 2.0 TSI drives very nicely and is about as torquey as the 2.0 TDI 150PS is (the TSI has a bit less torque but has a wider torque band) however gets about 8-9l/100km.

I would recommend the 4WD just for peace of mind and surefootedness, however between the 1.4 and 2.0 it depends on the load you're going to be putting on the car and your driving style.

·
Registered
503 Posts
well TBH that's it in a nutshell. only you can decide what suits you but:

4WD for:
Better grip in slippery situations.
Getting out of junctions in a hurry without spinning up tyres and not going forward.

4WD against:
Increased cost (outlay and servicing at haldex service intervals) .
Worse fuel economy.

As for the 2.0 Tsi MPG, my car has just over 700 miles so still tight and will improve.
And I am not driving economy minded as its in sport mode until I hit 1k miles (to do with how I prefer to bed in the motor and DSG's default early changes that won't help me achieve my aim).
Short town shunts 28-30 mpg
40-60 mile trips on mostly A roads and dual carriageways 32-34 mpg

Once I hit 1k miles, and use normal DSG mode, I have a trip to Scotland planned and fully expect to realise at least 38 ish on the trip.
I am using my previous car (Octavia 3 Petrol vRS DSG) as a guide for the trip, as I am managing similar MPG figures to that, and It managed 46 mpg on a good run of motorway/dual carriage ways @ NSL with 2 adults 3 kids and hols luggage.

I will say depends on how you plan to use it, lots of short runs go for the petrol, but the 1.4 isn't geared as tall I believe so motorway speeds will suffer mpg. the 2.0 Tsi has tall gearing for a petrol and will be very good at that.

The whole diesel vs petrol matter is well documented so I won't get into that can of worms ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am waiting my 2.0 Tsi awd. I live in Finland and for me awd is the best choice for snow and icy roads in wintertime. I have had three diesel cars and i fhought it would ne nice to try now petrol engine. I drive about 18k kilometres in a year so more expensive petrol doesn't matter so much. I expect to get Kodiaq at the ens of October.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For me it's not about going off-road, but as per a previous post I like the sure footedness of a 4WD. As far as I'm concerned I see it as an extra safety benefit, particularly for country roads in winter, etc. I would always opt for AWD if I was buying a car with that option.

Of course the MPG will take a bit of a hit versus 2WD option, but in normal driving most of the drive (approx 90%?) is via the the front wheels anyway, and power is only redirected to other wheels where needed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
90%ish goes to the front wheels in normal driving, but will instantly transfer to the rear axle if needed.

Having driven a range of 2WD and AWD/4WD cars (including spending many years in Africa on poor roads) it's great to have it there when needed.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Personally, I didn't think 4WD was worth it in my case. Winter tyres will offer superior grip on icy roads and I'll never go off road. If I treat it like an SUV and not a sports car, I don't get into those "sticky situations" described here. 4WD increases weight of the car by 85kg. 1.4 TSI engine is wonderfully peppy. Only today, I gave a lift to 4 fellow cricket players (total 5 of us) with 5 cricket bags in the boot driving down country roads and A roads. It didn't struggle at all, and had ready acceleration under the pedal at all times.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Kozmokr said:
Looking into buying the Kodiaq, my options are limited to:
1. 150 PS TSI DSG6 4WD.
2. 150 PS TDI DSG7 2WD.
3. 180 PS TSI DSG7 4WD.

If I could get the TDI 4WD, there would be no dilemma, I'd get it.
I"m afraid from the performance of the 1.4 TSI on the one hand and the fuel consumption of the 2.0 TSI from the other.

How crucial is the 4WD to handling and grip?
I'm not looking for off road capabilities, but do want the grip and control 4WD can offer. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!
I've been throwing the FWD 2.0 TDI DSG7 around for a couple of weeks now - including in sustained downpour and waterlogged, poor quality country backroads. No problem at all. Handling is certainly a step up from the previous FWD car (Citroen C4GP) and I'd put that down to the markedly stiffer suspension and much reduced roll. Its footing is simply much better.

It was a tough choice as we do tend to go snow hunting a couple of times a year and I could see 4WD absolutely being an advantage in that situation - especially in the pass and carpark at Glenshee.

Ultimately the decision to go FWD came down to a decision on fuel economy as I get to claim significant mileage via work and, as it's a flat rate per mile, rather than actual fuel consumption/cost, I can make a profit if the engine is economical and a loss if it isn't. Secondly, the difference in emissions between FWD and 4WD factors into the car benefit tax that the tax man removes from my personal tax free allowance i.e. I end up paying more tax via PAYE if I drive a company car with higher (i.e. 4WD) emissions,

So: FWD.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Kozmokr said:
Thanks dalglir and Jacro.
Did you go for the 150 ps or the 190 ps?
Do you feel that the 150 ps would be powerful enough?

Thanks again.
I am waiting for tdi 150 2wd. Drove a superb and felt plenty powerful but if kodiaq feels sluggish I'll just remap to 190 for £280

1 - 16 of 16 Posts