Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my SE almost a month now and done just short of 800miles and so a few thoughts about the experience.

I swapped a 1.4tsi L&K Yeti with several options for the 150 diesel DSG SE Kodiaq. The only options on the Kodi
are front sensors, folding mirrors and towbar. I though I might have a feeling of loss going from a fully optioned Yeti
to the Kodiaq but that most definately hasn't been the case.

Leather seats, first car for god knows how long that hasn't had leather. Have I missed it? Not really if i'm honest.
It might well be easier to clean and has a perceived air of luxury but my wife moans about the leather when it's hot
and again when it's cold until the seat heaters kick-in so not a problem and I get a slightly quieter life.

Panoramic roof, again, my wife, bless her, used to moan it was windy if I opened it and that it burned her head if the blind was open when sunny so again, I now have a quieter life.

Heated screen, I might well miss on the odd occasion I have a frosty screen but i'm sure I can live without it.

Park assist, only used it once on the Yeti to check it worked so again, no great loss.

No satnav. I used to use Google Maps on the Yeti as I find it better than the VW group offering. "stay on this road for a long time" Really?
I still have an 8" touch screen that looks great and better sound than the Yeti had with upgraded speakers.

The lack of the glossy interior trim, my satin finished trim doesn't show finger marks at all and in my opinion looks pretty good.

One of the main reasons for choosing an SE at the time was because we wanted boot space and we have that in spades, a good 15/20% more than a 7 seat model.

The only thing i'm really pi$$ed about is the downgraded DRL/indicators on the SE and I presume the S as well. It's not even something I can see when i'm driving but I really like the combo on the higher trim levels and thought mine would be the same. The brochure just says, all models come with LED DRLs.

Other than that i'm loving the factory fit towbar and the ease with which it can be deployed and the positioning of the electrics and attachment point for the breakaway cable. So much easier than the Yeti bar.

The diesel is a little noisier than the petrol in the Yeti but not too much so and it's a joy to drive with the DSG box. Not as happy with the stop/start system but going to bear with it for a bit more time to see if I can get used to it.

My Skoda Connect app has worked faultlessly from day one (smug grin) and I can also live without different suspension modes and adaptive cruise.

All in all I may feel a slight twinge when I see the smart DRLs of an SE L or Edition and feel the shame of my lower spec ones ;) but i'm more than happy with my SE spec Kodiaq. At the time we ordered it was the only was to get a 5 seat version and if I could go back the only thing I would change would maybe to order a 4X4 version.

Hope i've not bored you all to sleep but a few thoughts of a car i'm very very pleased with.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Well done,
Glad you are so pleased.
I would have gone for the Se but had to waste £1k on 2 extra seats I will never use to get the twiddly bits I DO want. One of which is NOT sat nav. I have never had a built in sat nav as good as my Garmin AND they have the gall to charge about a grand for it when you can pick up a better piece of kit for £150.

G

·
I've had my SE for 3 weeks now, just over 1,000 miles done and I'm loving it too. I upgraded from a 7 year old Fabia 3 Estate so the spec of the Kodiaq SE is a big step up for me anyway.

Made first full use of the 7 seats this weekend too - an 80-mile round trip with me and my wife, two kids (aged 7 and 5) plus granny, grandad and another grandma... Didn't really feel sluggish on the motorway with a car full of people, and am able to get the high back booster seats for kids in the back row now that the dealership helped with my query to work out how to completely remove the back row headrests!

Very much enjoying the Kodiaq so far, long may it continue. I'm using Apple CarPlay to full effect too - the SatNav on Apple Maps integrated to the radio works brilliantly. And the voice recognition on Siri via CarPlay is much much much better than Skoda's native Voice functions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Stuart

How did you manage to resolve the third row headrest removal issue?

I have the same issue - booster doesn't sit quite flush and is ok but if headrest can come out then even better.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
119 Posts
stuartclarkson said:
I've had my SE for 3 weeks now, just over 1,000 miles done and I'm loving it too. I upgraded from a 7 year old Fabia 3 Estate so the spec of the Kodiaq SE is a big step up for me anyway.

Made first full use of the 7 seats this weekend too - an 80-mile round trip with me and my wife, two kids (aged 7 and 5) plus granny, grandad and another grandma... Didn't really feel sluggish on the motorway with a car full of people, and am able to get the high back booster seats for kids in the back row now that the dealership helped with my query to work out how to completely remove the back row headrests!

Very much enjoying the Kodiaq so far, long may it continue. I'm using Apple CarPlay to full effect too - the SatNav on Apple Maps integrated to the radio works brilliantly. And the voice recognition on Siri via CarPlay is much much much better than Skoda's native Voice functions.
How did they remove/ move the 3rd row headrest?

·
Registered
13 Posts
stuartclarkson said:
am able to get the high back booster seats for kids in the back row now that the dealership helped with my query to work out how to completely remove the back row headrests! .
How do you do that? I'm thinking I might have the same problem with my high back Kiddi seats...

·
Registered
421 Posts
stuartclarkson said:

I'm going to be annoying and also ask you how you remove these headrests.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bump :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Why don't you send him a pm?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
stuartclarkson said:

Hi guys.

Do we have news on removing the headrest on the third row? I test drove Kodiaq with 7 seats and I this awful experience of trying to put ROmer Kidfix on the third row: not possible due to the headrests... I've wrestled a bit with them but eventually gave up and sat my oldest son at the second row and moved my youngest to the third row (she sits on a Romer Duoplus that doesn't interfere with the headrests).

The problem is that they will now have both a 2-3 class chairs and without removing the headrest I believe that it's not possible to sit the kids on these chairs on the third row... The instruction manual clearly says that the head restraints from the third row are not removable and Euroncap marked the third row seats with "Safety critical problem" - I believe because of the headrests issue...

Some feed-back on this, please?

Ricardo

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would suggest you send a pm to stuartclarkson.

·
Registered
421 Posts
bigboss said:
I would suggest you send a pm to stuartclarkson.
He's been asked in this thread and will have notification of being quoted so a PM won't get any more attention.

·
Registered
56 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Hugh Fanism said:
stuartclarkson said:

Me too. Would really much appreciate info on how to do this.

JoHn

·
Registered
289 Posts
Please note, this is only a theory. I haven't had my headrests removed, but have seen it done with other makes of 3rd row seating.

The headrest fixings are likely bolted in, so my guess is that the seat fabric has to be loosened and the bolts removed to give the option of headrests that pull out when required.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Stuart has kindly replied to my PM to say there is a solution and he will provide info when he returns from hols - sounds like there is a release catch under the headrest release button. A solution though so good news for all interested parties!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jersey Boy said:
Stuart has kindly replied to my PM to say there is a solution and he will provide info when he returns from hols - sounds like there is a release catch under the headrest release button. A solution though so good news for all interested parties!
Sounds great! Thanks!

JoHn

·
Registered
945 Posts
According to the manual (the thing most people don't read) the third row seats do not have a removable headrest, only the second row so it will be interesting to see if it's true.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eventually, good news... Indeed, I had noticed that Kodiaq's manual did indeed say that 3rd row headrests were unable to be removed... During my test drive, I spent some time trying to sort it out, but it's true that I gave up 5 minutes passed, as I had to start the test drive...

Eventually, as Jersey Bos said, there's a release mechanism hidden bellow the headrest or something alike (only intended for Servicing purposes, only?)... We just have to wait and see! :D If that's the case, I'll repeat the test drive and, this time, I'll bring a screw driver... Or a hammer... :D

Regards!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts