Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

2nd row car seats and 3rd row safety

24K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Professor 
#1 ·
Was really planning on getting a kodiaq when we have our 3rd child
But now I'm cautious as it appears the middle seat is a small one and I've been told 3rd row seats aren't crash tested
Currently have 2 children under 2

Was wondering if anyone who owns one can help me

Has anyone put two car seats in the 2nd row ... if so how much space is between them in the middle ? Could I fit another seat or an adult ?

And are the 3rd row seats crash tested ?

Thanks

#2 ·
Check that (Kodiaq vs X-Trail vs Outlander):

My opinion: Kodiaq is a SUV for 4 people. For 5 people...definitely not. And going on vacation with all 7 seats occupied.... very funny...don't tell me 7 people need less luggage then 4.

If I would have 3 kids I would say bye bye to SUV and purchase S-Max/Galaxy or Sharan/Alhambra or Espace.

#3 ·
I've put 2 car seats in the rear seat. There's enough room for a small to medium sized adult. You can have an isofix point in the front passenger seat (although I couldn't access it, it was quite buried in). When there are more than 5 people, remember you'll need to fold a seat forward to.allow people get into the rearmost seats. This will be inconvenient if you've got a child seat on both ends. I put my 3 year old in the passenger seat (front facing seat, if you're using rear facing, you'll need to deactivate the passenger airbag) and my brother in law's 2 year old in the rear seat.

#4 ·
romanv said:
Check this (Kodiaq vs X-Trail vs Outlander):

My opinion: Kodiaq is a SUV for 4 people. For 5 people...definitely not. And going on vacation with all 7 seats occupied.... very funny...don't tell me 7 people need less luggage then 4.

If I would have 3 kids I would say bye bye to SUV and purchase S-Max/Galaxy or Sharan/Alhambra or Espace.
You can get a roof box for luggage. The MPV options are ugly.

#5 ·
I have 4 kids and am changing from smax to kodiaq. We have tried it as a family and the space is pretty much identical. The internal width is about 1cm smaller on the kodiaq. We have no doubts on internal space and will occupy all bar one seat on trip to france. The rear seats on kodiaq are better positioned than smax too - all kids who sat in them said they sat higher and could see more forward than smax. For longer trips we use a slim roof box on top (to allow space for my bike :) ). Only downside is the transmission tunnel cos smax doesnt have tge same lump.

Anyways dont make me doubt it now - its in the uk off the boat and due in dealer next week!

#6 ·
bigboss said:
romanv said:
Check this (Kodiaq vs X-Trail vs Outlander):

You can get a roof box for luggage. The MPV options are ugly.
And i agree : all options ugly. Didnt fancy another mpv bus - we only have one car so 80% of time its just me to work. Really wanted suv style...

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies
Nearly cried at the first reply about mpv's
Really don't want an mpv
I could put a car seat in front and two in back and my wife in between if she will fit as our journeys are always short with the kids anyway in the rare occasions we're all in the car
The video seemed good from what I understood 😂 The kodiaq had the most room at least in the middle
Would probably be much more room with the style of child seats we have as they face backwards for a long time so nothing will be up against your shoulders

Anyone know about the crash testing of the rear seats?
I know the kodiaq does have a bit of a boot still while they are up but how dead are you if someone goes into you from behind ?

#8 ·
#9 ·
Check the videos out in the Euro NCAP page, that'll give you an idea of the rearmost seats in a collision.

#10 ·
Obviously 2 child seats fit easily in row 2. I've squeezed an adult in between them, but it's only good for a short journey.

I've not found a booster cushion narrow enough to fit between 2 car seats.

I've used a booster cushion in row 3.

As the grandchildren grow, I'm always chopping and changing seats and booster cushions. Always on the lookout for narrower seats. Some are soooo wide these days.

Hoping to eventually find 3 narrow seats that will fit row 2.
Latest seat addition to my range is a non-Isofix Recaro which is very light, reasonably narrow and easy to move in and out between cars.

#11 ·
I had a honda accord and a pug 308 peviously. I also have three kids 9/6/6 so a bigger car was a must. The kodiaq can accomodate all three car seats as well as if not better than the honda and the pug was just a waste of time! The space in the kodiaq is better than anything else i've seen and the comfort is exceptional. I've got the 7 seat version and have yet to use the rear row however i don't feel that it would be an issue with the age that they are now. I wouldnt put a baby that far back without an adult close to for practicality sake. Not to mention how much mischeif kids can get up to that far away from parental oversight!

#13 ·
We got rid of my wife's smax and got her the smaller car so I now have the bigger car. I was worried whether the kodiaq would be as big on the second row and boot volume. So I have three kids 5,7 and 10. The two younger ones are in full back seats and my daughter is in the middle without a child seat or booster and is similar in size to the smax maybe a touch narrower. The kids love the third row but we can only use booster seats in third row due to the head rest. They like it cos they can actually see in front of them.
Boot space is comparable to smax and being able to put the tonneau cover under the boot floor is very clever indeed!
We have just done a weekend away with boot full, 4 bikes on roof and trailer! Roll on the summer hols!

#14 ·
Boxerboy55 said:
Actually, my friend has a booster cushion that fit the middle, between 2 car seats yesterday. I'll check the brand with him.

#15 ·
bigboss said:
Boxerboy55 said:
Actually, my friend has a booster cushion that fit the middle, between 2 car seats yesterday. I'll check the brand with him.
Any news on booster yet ?

#16 ·
#17 ·
Row 2 is spacious but it won't take an adult or a 3rd child seat/booster in the middle when full car seats are by the doors. This is not a bad thing as the rear seat passengers are not pressed up against the door and therefor are better protected in the event of a side impact. The third row really is needed if car seats, anything bigger than booster seats, are required.
Legroom is great; and means I no longer get the back of my seat kicked continuously.
Biggest gripe. The third row doesn't fit child seats well; while I knew that there was no isofix, I didn't appreciate the headrest would interfere and are not removable. Hence third row only good for booster seats.
I have attached a few pics of the 2nd row to illustrate.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.