Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changes to Vehicle Excise Duty from 1st April 2017 could make a significant difference to first year road tax for some Kodiaq models. I've ordered a 190PS diesel which will cost £185 if registered before 1st April or £500 if registered after that date. My dealer has a provisional build date of 20th Feb (Week 8) and is pretty confident of delivery before April so I'm hoping there are no delays. The 150PS diesel has a more modest increase from £145 to £200.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
The figures you quote are first year ONLY.
Subsequent years for all vehicles costing less than £40k are ALL £140p.a. Except pure battery vehicles which remain at zero VED.
When I am on my computer tomorrow (on mobile at the mo) I will put full details on this thread.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
You can check your Kodiaq VED rates by engine and transmission here.....http://www.nextgreencar.com/car-tax/make-model/skoda/kodiaq/

Since it is extremely doubtful that ANY Kodiaq will be registered in the U.K. before 1st April, the new rates are shown first.

These will be the VED rates from 1st April this year.

So, for example.........
My 1.4DSG SE L (143 g/Km Band F) if registered today would be £145 p.a. for life.
When registered AFTER 1st April will be. £200 first year and £140 p.a. thereafter.

Below are the CURRENT VED rates. UNTIL 1st April 2017!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can anyone point me to a definitive definition of List Price as it relates to new motor vehicles?
I have scoured the various Finance Acts since 2015, the Supply of New Cars Order 2000 and of course the original Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 along with numerous updates. The DVLA website sidesteps the issue and my phone call to them resulted in "It is the price published by the Manufacturer". On the other hand all the motor mags seem to believe a List Price includes added Options. So an aftermarket towbar might cost less in the long run? The buyer gets penalised for adding some extra airbags or isofix points?. My dealer says he also spoke to DVLA who immediately confirmed the price should include Options. Of course they would (verbally) because it is more revenue, but get them to write that down - not so easy. There is nothing on the V55 requiring notification of Options. The car is defined by its VIN, model, size, engine capacity, CO2 emissions etc but no mention of heated seats.
So who is driving this lunatic wish to get a car classified as premium via the back door?
Why am I bothered? The dealer contacted me with some mischievous glee to tell me I will be paying £1,500 more in tax. Good thing I didn't add the Smoker's Pack.
So if anyone can guide me to a real definition of List Price, as opposed to Purchase Price, I shall be really grateful.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
The price of what you ordered will be on the configurator or in your case your order form. Unless your choices take the price over £40k it won't affect the road tax. It is only carbon dioxide levels that affect the first year VED.
For cars costing less than £40k....
The first year is a one off payment, subsequent annual VED will be £140.
First year road tax is included in the 'on the road price ' that you pay the dealer.
See my post above for both of & new VED rates.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Manufactures list price plus options list price is what the VED will go on.
40k and over means additional ved rate for the first 5 years as per Colin's post.
BTW, as usual Skoda are misleading as their configurator list prices are not April 1st prices, and the Kodiak is not allowed to be registered before then according to Skoda UK.
If the vehicle is under a company or lease scheme it is different I think, but personal purchase is as Colin said.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know the Purchase Price of the car I have ordered and it is over £40K. What I am wanting to determine is the legal definition of List Price as it refers to the Acts in force. I have already identified that folk will have opinions but I am looking for hard evidence. Savage, you seem fairly sure your opinion is correct and in line with Autotrader etc, but on what basis?

·
Registered
503 Posts
On the basis of this article:
http://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/ved-car-tax-changes-in-2017-what-do-i-need-to-know/

The particular paragraphs:

"Bear in mind, too, that it's the final list price of your car which determines that £40,000 threshold - if you buy a cheaper model, but add options that take the price over that point, you'll still have to pay the Premium fee. In short, an option costing a few hundred pounds could end up costing you more than £1500 over five years in extra car tax costs.

Even if you negotiate a discount with the dealer that drops the price of the car back under £40,000, you'll have to pay the fee, because the listed price will still be more than £40,000"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts