Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, trying to replace 2 of my 235/45/20/V tyres before first UK MOT and winter weather. Can't get an all season tyre anywhere. I'm told it's a combo of pandemic manufacturing slowdown, China on raw material spending spree, shortage of shipping containers and rubber tree fungus slowing supply.

Options are to fit a summer tyre and hope for the best, or fiit a winter tyre knowing it'll probably have to be swapped off in the Spring/Summer.

Tyre dealer tells me Pirelli winding down All Season production in favour of just summer and winters. Not sure if I believe it.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice I'd appreciate it.

Rgds
Colin

P.S. I think it's the 20 inch rims that are really making it hard to find tyres!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks, trying to replace 2 of my 235/45/20/V tyres before first UK MOT and winter weather. Can't get an all season tyre anywhere. I'm told it's a combo of pandemic manufacturing slowdown, China on raw material spending spree, shortage of shipping containers and rubber tree fungus slowing supply.

Options are to fit a summer tyre and hope for the best, or fiit a winter tyre knowing it'll probably have to be swapped off in the Spring/Summer.

Tyre dealer tells me Pirelli winding down All Season production in favour of just summer and winters. Not sure if I believe it.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice I'd appreciate it.

Rgds
Colin

P.S. I think it's the 20 inch rims that are really making it hard to find tyres!
Hi

Have you tried "Camskills", I've just had four Vredestein Quatrac Pro tyres fitted 235/45/20 a true All Season tyre and snow apart (as we haven't had any yet) they perform great. My local tyre fitter acquired them and I think they were £178 fitted per corner.

Kind regards

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn’t Dave but having checked now there not showing anything in my size. I tried ringing but nobody answered. I’ll try again in the morning. My dealer has found some Conti All Seasons coming in at the end of the month but they ain’t cheap at £195 per corner plus VAT.

·
Registered
44 Posts
MyTyres only showing 2 brands but they're bloody expensive.

Reason there's little availability and they're expensive? Because it's almost Winter - there was a good selection only a month ago - the reasons you've been given are pants.

Solution? Unless they're down to min tread, just swap backs with front and wait until March or April b4 buying them. If you really must have tyres then:

Winter Tyres ? You'd have to put on 4 winter tyres not 2. But if you don't live out in the sticks, Winters are just not worth it here in the UK.

Summer Tyres? Buy the cheapest ones you can find and wait until spring / there's an offer on and buy all-seasons.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Always been very little choice on all season tyres for the 20" rims. The Vredestein Quatrac Pro are about the only realistic choice I'm afraid.

I get the need if you live somewhere that gets lots of snow (Highlands of Scotland, Peak District, etc.) but I'm down in the South West so snow is a very rare thing. In the last 10 years our kids have only ever had one snow day off school!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks guys, some useful ideas in there. Good idea swapping back to fronts.
Just be a little wary of this advice - great for longevity of your tyres as they'll all wear more evenly, however do be wary of having significantly better tread on the fronts over the rears. Whether you have FWD, RWD or even if you have 4x4 it's not a good idea and you're far more likely to experience oversteer leading to total loss of control in the event of aquaplaning as it will be the rear that loses traction first. Plenty of videos about the subject on YouTube. It's a popular misconception that you should put the best tyres on the front either because they generally wear faster or because they're also doing most of the braking and all of the steering, so need better grip. Sadly it's not until you lose grip on the rear axle when cornering in the wet, spin and crash that you realise that this is bad advice!

If you're going to swap fronts and rears then do make sure you do so reasonably frequently in order to keep the wear rate of all 4 tyres roughly even. Also don't forget to reset the TPMS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just be a little wary of this advice - great for longevity of your tyres as they'll all wear more evenly, however do be wary of having significantly better tread on the fronts over the rears. Whether you have FWD, RWD or even if you have 4x4 it's not a good idea and you're far more likely to experience oversteer leading to total loss of control in the event of aquaplaning as it will be the rear that loses traction first. Plenty of videos about the subject on YouTube. It's a popular misconception that you should put the best tyres on the front either because they generally wear faster or because they're also doing most of the braking and all of the steering, so need better grip. Sadly it's not until you lose grip on the rear axle when cornering in the wet, spin and crash that you realise that this is bad advice!

If you're going to swap fronts and rears then do make sure you do so reasonably frequently in order to keep the wear rate of all 4 tyres roughly even. Also don't forget to reset the TPMS.
Got it. Thanks. Always good to have the whole picture.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm sure I read a number of owners going up 10mm to 245 on all 4 corners and fitting Michelin CrossClimates. Even that doesn't seem to be an option on CrossClimate 2 anymore.

·
Registered
942 Posts
MyTyres only showing 2 brands but they're bloody expensive.

Reason there's little availability and they're expensive? Because it's almost Winter - there was a good selection only a month ago - the reasons you've been given are pants.

Solution? Unless they're down to min tread, just swap backs with front and wait until March or April b4 buying them. If you really must have tyres then:

Winter Tyres ? You'd have to put on 4 winter tyres not 2. But if you don't live out in the sticks, Winters are just not worth it here in the UK.

Summer Tyres? Buy the cheapest ones you can find and wait until spring / there's an offer on and buy all-seasons.
i would strongly suggest you don’t use Mytyres or any of their other online portals. I bought some from them but they weren’t delivered within the 2 weeks leadtime, they don’t tell you it’s such a long delivery until you order. When they hadn’t turned up I was told that although they claimed they had been delivered they were actually still in the warehouse in Germany (all their orders are fulfilled from Germany). They told me that they would take another 4 weeks to be delivered so I cancelled the order.

About a month after this I got an email threatening legal action if I didn’t return the tyres, the tyres they hadn’t even released from their warehouse.

I did get the Vredestein Quatrac Pro from Blackcircles which aren’t cheap but they did turn up, so far I am not disappointed in them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts