Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have copied this from another thread but would really like some advice about losing 2 years of guarantee.
I managed to part resolve the dilemma and am reasonably confident that I have ordered a car that will do 99.9% of what I want it to do. The 2.0 TDI would have done 100% of what I wanted but at a lot more money. We were able to get a feel for the petrol by taking a spin in a Skoda Octavia with the 1.4 TSI rated at 110hp and running on a Gas conversion. We drove it up the steepest hill around and it was not found lacking. So allowing for more weight and more power in the Kodiaq, we think we will be happy. We ordered the base model in Jungle Green, 7 seats and a spare wheel. With the discount, as we were buying in the business name we paid €21,935 or about 19000 GBP. One drawback we discovered is that as it is a business purchase the guarantee is for unlimited km but only valid for 2 years! Whereas buying as a consumer we get 4 years ! Do you think I should be concerned by this as I can still make the contract in my own name, losing the tax deduction in may accounts. If I do put the car in my own name I can then take advantage of cheaper car insurance because I have 15 years no claims here whereas the business policy will start a 0. Thoughts?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it were me I'd look at the tax rebate vs the insurance saving and wouldn't necessarily worry about the guarantee of two years as it's only one year off what used to be standard anyway but that's just me personally. It also depends on how long you honestly think you will keep it

·
Registered
314 Posts
Are you likely to do high mileage in the car (whereby the 4 year warranty may reach the mileage limit before the 4 years are up)

If it is a DSG then I would want it under warranty for the whole time I owned the car, for a manual I would not be too bothered.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I have done the numbers and it looks like the absolute most I can save by buying in the business name is €627 over 4 years. The likely hood is it will be smaller than this as you have to get a book stamped every time you buy petrol in order to claim it against your costs, (let's say a saving of €400 over 4 years). I will be doing about 10,000 miles a year, we will be driving the 1.4 TSI 125 with manual gear box, so I suppose my question is what is the value of an extra 2 years guarantee ? (Buying as a business gets a 2 year guarantee in Italy verses 4 years as a consumer) . I would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
In the UK the extended 2 year warranty is £630.

Surely buying it through a business will mean it doesn't actually cost 'you' anything and you can claim the tax back?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying a "car" through a business in Italy is completely different to buying in the UK. Here we can reclaim 40% of the IVA (VAT) and 20% of the cost on purchase, and 20% of the running costs. Hardly what you would call generous? I have a 4x4 pickup, which is classed as a commercial vehicle, all the costs of that can be offset against tax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts