Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GRRH!
As a dash cam user I am fed up with forgetting to turn the camera off because Skoda are so stupid as to have the 12V sockets always live (I think they are the only manufacturer to do so~~~~unless anyone knows differently!)
I am fully aware that some people might want a cool box in the boot but WHY have the front & centre sockets constantly live??
I have hours of dark film showing the bushes in my drive blowing in the wind! ;)
Can SOMEBODY, MATTYRS?? ask a techy how to convert to ignition controlled so that I can go to pick it up with the mod done.
Dealer techies must have been on some sort of course before the launch???

·
Registered
314 Posts
IF it's the same as a Golf / Passat / Octavia then all you need to do is remove fuse No. 40 (which sits between the green 30A and clear 25A fuse in the photo below) and then reinsert it down half a position so the top blade of the fuse goes into the terminal that the bottom blade was sat in, this will make the OE 12V sockets ignition fed.

However IF it is the same as a Superb (which the photo is taken from you can see there is no ignition fed terminal where the fuse should resit (inside the yellow box)

In this case use a fuse tap from the rear wiper fuse as that is ignition fed and run a 12V socket to the rear of the car and another 12V socket behind the dashboard, you can then hide all the wires out of the way so they are completely out of sight.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Gizmo I HATE car leccy stuff. Spanner any day for me!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
You can get car fuse taps too for a few p.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what I was thinking of doing.
Are the cameras polarity sensitive?

G

·
Colin - have you had any success with changing your 12v sockets to be ignition-controlled on the Kodiaq?

I want to have an old smartphone plugged in in the socket in the boot when I get mine, so that I can track it in realtime from my own phone. A friend with a VW does this to great effect - the phone gets charged while the car ignition is on and it holds enough charge then when the car is parked to send GPS signal for tracking.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Stuart,
No I'm afraid not. The only way seems to be to hard wire into the fuse board using the piggy back fuse mentioned above.Which I have yet to do
For the boot socket (if you are brave enough) if you could break into the loom and find the rear wiper wire you could tap into that. To be honest I wouldn't risk it.
Why don't you just leave the 'phone plugged in all the time. I thought they were unable to be overcharged? especially if the phone is on all the time. It would take so little out of the cars battery. Just a thought.
Just to be nosey, why do you want to track the car when you aren't it it? Or should we not go there!? ;)

G

·
Thanks Colin.. yeah I think leaving plugged in all the time may be the best option, hopefully not much chance of running the battery flat. Just so I can see at a glance on my phone where the car is all the time - eg if you've parked it somewhere you can check it's still actually there...! No dodgy reasons, just a cheaper/more convenient way of tracking than a proper car tracking device/system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Colin. The whole of the left hand side (facing the car) of the engine bay fuse box is ignition controlled so you can piggy back there.
I, as usual needed to have a good look around all the supposed user friendly bits of the Bear and thought I would check out the fuse board behind the glove box. You need a translation of the instructions, you need strong hands and small fingers and then it is possible to drop the box but on a dark night, in a forest and in the rain it would try the patience of even a DiPME Automotive man. Incidentally the dealer was defeated for quite a long time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have run a 12v tap use the blade fuse adapter for my dash cam. I found that I used the blind spot monitoring fuse as that was 12v ignition fed

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Skoda Connect app on my phone shows the last known position of my Kodiaq but I presume it only updates when connected online via my phone's Wifi hotspot.

·
Registered
503 Posts
johnrichardson171 said:
Colin. The whole of the left hand side (facing the car) of the engine bay fuse box is ignition controlled so you can piggy back there.
Were would you feed the wire through into the cabin ?
I know access to the fusebox behind the glovebox is tricky, it is on the Octavia and the Kodiaq has 2 of the tricky to unclip dampers from looking at instructions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Savage said:
johnrichardson171 said:
Probably through the same grommet where the main wiring loom goes through the bulkhead, which I bet is behind the glovebox... so it's actually going to be harder, you are better off using the main fusebox inside the car.

Once you get used to how the glovebox drops down it takes a second or two to do.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gizmo68 said:
Savage said:
johnrichardson171 said:
Probably through the same grommet where the main wiring loom goes through the bulkhead, which I bet is behind the glovebox... so it's actually going to be harder, you are better off using the main fusebox inside the car.

Once you get used to how the glovebox drops down it takes a second or two to do.
Just what I was going to ask/thinking!
Getting into the cabin from under the bonnet on a modern car is a nightmare.
The glove box has only one damper (with an electrical connection?? WHY?) and as Gizmo says once you've done it it is easy, if somewhat fiddly.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Oh only the one damper ? from the Owners manual I looked at there looked to be two.
I have just removed my camera from the Octy, 10 mins from start to finish :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
So much easier to use an ignition 12v from behind the glovebox fuse board. Fairly simple to drop the glove box down following user manual supplied in the car

·
Registered
50 Posts
So consensus seems to be that a fuse tap cable is the easiest way to go. That can plug into an existing ignition only fuse and effectively piggy back off it is that right?

Has anyone had any luck in wiring this up from the glovebox and tucked the cable into the frame so its all hiden away? Any pics much appreciated?

I'm looking at installing a dashcam up behind the rear view mirror when mine arrives and trying to get everyything I need in place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts