Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed that all the 12V sockets on the Kodiaq are permanently live. This is different from my last VAG car (Seat Alhambra) where all but one were only live when ignition was on.
When on holiday we often take an electrically powered fridge-box, which plugs into the 12v socket in the boot. I'm rather worried now that if we don't unplug every time we stop the car we may come back to a flat battery. The manual states "Connecting appliances when the engine is not running will drain the battery of the vehicle!" This is a bit worrying!
Does anyone know if there's any battery protection built into the supply to switch off the sockets before the battery becomes excessively drained? If not, is there some way of protecting the battery by plugging some kind of device between the socket and the fridge-box?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have this really odd feeling that from reading the manual that the Bear might do something like this on its own.

I'm not 100% sure but Its a real nagging feeling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bit I quoted from the manual seemed to suggest it was quite possible to completely drain the battery from the 12v ports!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pmburton said:
So I found this https://www.westfalia.net/shops/car_accessoires/maintenance/maintaining_car_parts/battery_care/1544817-westfalia-battery-control.htm which I think should help protect the battery. Little concerned that it only seems to switch off at 11.2V which seems rather late.
This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waeco-COOLPOWER-Voltage-Monitor-Universal/dp/B00I5DAHNO/ may be better as it switches off at 11.6V. I can't find any integrated/inline protectors which allow this cut-off voltage to be determined by the user, which is a shame as I'd like it even higher really to force it to only run when the engine is running. I can find some stand-alone units to which do this, so I might perhaps get one of them and add the necessary cables - it's a bit more bulky, but probably safer on the battery!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts