1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hola good peoples
apologies in advance......
Simple yet odd question.
From the attached images does my Kodiaq 1.5 tsi dsg have a cambelt or timing chain.... I'm 98% certain it has a timing chain however today with a staggering 12892 miles only on a 68 plate (yes yes its not run in yet) im told to change cambelt
THE SAGA
Last serviced November last year, today group service call center droid calls to say car is due its mandatory service asap or warranty is invalid.
Pointed out it was nov 2021 serviced over three years ergo out of warranty to which the &*^%$£" moron spouts my cambelt needs changing.????? yes you read that correctly
Er um dude.... it's a timing chain engine type....
no no no its cambelt... it needs changing
Dude its it a warranty recal ???.... No sir it just is due changing and failure could lead to a catastrophic engine problem
No way would a cambelt need a change etc at 43 months old 12892 miles....He claims some 2018 early 1.5 petrol are cambelt... conversation ends

QUESTION.... from the cover type - do I have a belt or chain before I visit the franchise and educate this moron. AM I BEING SPUN A LINE BY THIS DEALER?
many thanks to anyone who can illuminate my darkness here

pics
my engine 1 & 2

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

Timing chain cover 1.5 tsi?
Font Rectangle Engineering Automotive exterior Automotive design

Cambelt cover 1.5tsi?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Believe it's a cambelt (could be wrong), however it's due on all Skoda cars at either 5 years or 50k miles, whichever is sooner. Details at this site:
ŠKODA Servicing & Maintenance | ŠKODA UK

Scroll down to the Maintenance section, which is only recommended activity and shouldn't affect warranty, although I'd say good luck if you chose not to follow the maintenance schedule and then tried to claim under warranty for a failed cambelt.

As ever, extended warranties are only really a form of insurance, however they would have a hard time declining a warranty claim for say rust forming on a panel because you hadn't changed the cambelt when recommended. However if the engine failed, then that would be a different matter.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oh, fairly sure the cambelt is a Continental one, and they say the belt should last the lifetime of the engine, however Skoda UK recommend changing it every 5 years/50k miles. Really don't know why, it's probably just a means of taking money off people. It's not mandatory though, just recommended maintenance activity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant, thanks folks, so Skoda Manchester were incorrect when we took delivery, just looked at my own notes on my check list I took with me.

So my local dealer down here again wrong on interval, last debarkle during pandemic when car was static, never known a group email and chase for work like it. Car is now out of warranty and will not be 5 years for another 20 months and I will have sold it by then. Sadly my experience with Skoda and VW group since 2007, (touran, Ibiza, Toledo, yeti, kodiaq) will not continue after this. Skoda refuse to allow long life service as my miles are now vastly reduced. During pandemic refused to allow bump on service window despite email from VW finance scvs re scvs plan, as had only traveled 420 miles in one year due to shielding, inserted I serviced or lose the service plan credit. Now know I've been had and have an ongoing dispute with VW Group hq Milton Keynes. It's there such a thing a truly decent dealer out there?

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you have a 1.5 then it must have been registered after Jul 2018. So your car is under 4yr old?

The people who told you on the phone your engine had a belt were 100% correct. You were wrong to say it had a chain ( why did you 98% think it was a chain? ). So give them some credit.

Service plans are typically structured to include an 1x oil change ( minor service ) and 1 x oil change + inspection ( major service ). In other words, they are designed for annual or fixed service intervals, not for longlife.

But It's up to you what service intervals you want for your car and the garage should service it accordingly. However if your 2018 car has only covered 12892 miles, I doubt anyone would recommend variable / long life service. If they are advising you should be on fixed services then again they are correct.

It's recommended the timing belt is changed every 5yr but I'm not sure where the 50,000 miles comes from because I've never seen a figure written down. Whether it be Audi, VW, SEAT or Skoda ( all the exact same engine ), I've never seen any official figure quoted since approx 2009. ( cambelts were recommended to be changed between 40-60k miles or every 4yr on engines prior to 2009 ). Based on the old system, I doubt the belt needs changing until approx 80-100k miles. What isn't in any doubt is that a cambelt on a 2018 car with under 13k miles on the clock should need changing. I'd ask the garage to put this to you in writing and then contact Skoda. If true, then it's very bad advice.

Yes, there are lots of decent dealers - that vast majority of people who have their car serviced at Skoda are happy. Skoda dealers always rate highly in customer satifaction surveys. If you're not happy with your current dealer then just pick up the phone and ask another dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have a 1.5 then it must have been registered after Jul 2018. So your car is under 4yr old?

The people who told you on the phone your engine had a belt were 100% correct. You were wrong to say it had a chain ( why did you 98% think it was a chain? ). So give them some credit.

Service plans are typically structured to include an 1x oil change ( minor service ) and 1 x oil change + inspection ( major service ). In other words, they are designed for annual or fixed service intervals, not for longlife.

But It's up to you what service intervals you want for your car and the garage should service it accordingly. However if your 2018 car has only covered 12892 miles, I doubt anyone would recommend variable / long life service. If they are advising you should be on fixed services then again they are correct.

It's recommended the timing belt is changed every 5yr but I'm not sure where the 50,000 miles comes from because I've never seen a figure written down. Whether it be Audi, VW, SEAT or Skoda ( all the exact same engine ), I've never seen any official figure quoted since approx 2009. ( cambelts were recommended to be changed between 40-60k miles or every 4yr on engines prior to 2009 ). Based on the old system, I doubt the belt needs changing until approx 80-100k miles. What isn't in any doubt is that a cambelt on a 2018 car with under 13k miles on the clock should need changing. I'd ask the garage to put this to you in writing and then contact Skoda. If true, then it's very bad advice.

Yes, there are lots of decent dealers - that vast majority of people who have their car serviced at Skoda are happy. Skoda dealers always rate highly in customer satisfaction surveys. If you're not happy with your current dealer then just pick up the phone and ask another dealer.
Thank you, alas the call centre has since called twice to tell us our cambelt needs changing and the second call was for the aircon service as well both times advising warranty would be affected. We are out of warranty. Have subsequently told them we no longer have the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts