Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I'm new to forums and posting online generally so I have no idea if this is a duplicate, I apologise if this has already been asked.
I am currently driving a 1.4 tsi golf ( around 120hp I think) and I have just ordered a 1.4 tsi 150 sel 4x4.
I'm quite happy with the power and acceleration of the golf (even with my wife and 3 kids in tow) however I'm worried that the extra 28hp won't be enough to pull the extra weight of the kodiaq.
The only test car my local dealer had was the 150hp diesel dsg which I found too slow on the uptake ( there seemed to be a 2 sec pause when I tried to accelerate).
What I'm asking is how will the kodiaq feel compared to the golf?
I realise that is a bit of a random question and it may not be possible to answer, but I was hoping someone on this forum would have a similar comparison they could share.
Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The couple of seconds delay when starting off or calling for acceleration is a characteristic of the DSG gearbox. To a certain extent you will learn to eliminate or live with it, and it's the price you pay for convenience.

As for fuel choices of the 1.4 others here can advise you. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, I assumed the pause was due to the Diesel engine, didn't realise it was down to the dsg. Luckily I have opted for the manual, as the pause would irritate me.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've got a Golf GTE with 1.4 TSI engine. Even I was skeptical about the Kodiaq. Here's my impression of the test drive:

http://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=407

Having a turbo it equates to a 2 litre naturally aspirated engine.

Do you really need 4X4? It's 80kg heavier...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigboss thanks for the link, I had read your post before but was looking for a more direct comparison. So would you say the acceleration etc was similar to the GTE.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I unfortunately do need the 4x4 for the winter months. Where I live there are a lot of unmade roads that don't get gritted etc. Every Jan and Feb without fail we get sleet/snow/ice which results in a lot of abandoned vehicles at the bottom of my road. Hopefully I will no longer be one of them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Golf 1.4 TSI 0-62mph is 9.7 seconds, while Kodiaq is 8.6 seconds.

Even though the Kodiaq looks heavier, in reality it isn't much heavier than Golf.

Kerb weight of the Kodiaq 1.4 TSI 2WD: 1551kg

Kerb weight of the Kodiaq 1.4 TSI 4X4: 1653kg

Kerb weight of Golf GTE: 1585kg

Kerb weight of Golf SE 1.4 TSI: 1338kg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big boss you've made my day. Was panicking I'd made the wrong engine choice. I wasn't too happy ordering that engine without trying it.
The info you've given me has restored my confidence,
many thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
I test drove both and loved them both!

Initially I ordered the 2.0 diesel but have changed it for the 1.4tsi 4x4 150. Don't expect lightening performance but it was just as good as the diesel. It just misses a bit of low end torque...
It's got to be one of the smoothest and quietest engines I've ever driven but I'm use to diesels. It really impressed me, it was not what I expected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lord muck that's good to hear. I'm not expecting a fast car. I just want to be able to pull out of a junction with my family in the car without having to panic when a car appears on the far horizon.

·
Registered
140 Posts
To be fair it really surprised me, obviously not driven it loaded to the eyeballs with family and junk but I would say it's perfectly fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts