Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this video by carwow

Acceleration is a lot quicker than official figures! 8.6 seconds 0-60 in the 1.4 tsi

·
Registered
421 Posts
Shocks said:
Has anyone seen this video by carwow

Acceleration is a lot quicker than official figures! 8.6 seconds 0-60 in the 1.4 tsi
I'm assuming that's the launch control video. For some reason Skoda don't use the figure from this method.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
I'm assuming that's the launch control video. For some reason Skoda don't use the figure from this method.
It is the launch control video. I had no idea the Kodiaq had it, there is no mention of it in the manual.

I shall be testing it out at the next opportunity :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Swindiaq said:
Hugh Fanism said:
It is the launch control video. I had no idea the Kodiaq had it, there is no mention of it in the manual.

I shall be testing it out at the next opportunity :D
I'm going to wait until I've got some more miles on the clock. I'll be honest though, I'm struggling to spot a suitable road where I'll get away with it (I've only been where I am for a few years and still don't know the roads that well).

Be sure to use the 0-60 timer that's built into Skoda OneApp when you do it ;)

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Recommended NOT to make a habit of it!
The clutches in the DSG 'box and transmission components won't like this kind of abuse. If manual, same applies.
Try it once,as I have done, and forget it!
Why the hell Skoda put launch control on an SUV God alone knows SIMPLY STUPID!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
The clutches in the DSG 'box and transmission components won't like this kind of abuse. If manual, same applies.
I need it for the magic roundabout in Swindon. Guess I'll need to make better use of the cargo nets.

Hopefully the knackered clutch will be the next owners problem. ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Swindiaq said:
Colin Lambert said:
I need it for the magic roundabout in Swindon. Guess I'll need to make better use of the cargo nets.

Hopefully the knackered clutch will be the next owners problem. ;)
The prospect of ever using that "roundabout" scares me senseless. Did nobody tell Swindon that you're meant to go clockwise? :lol:
There's a similar one in Wycombe with the plethora of mini roundabouts surrounding it but you at least go the right way around them all

·
Registered
216 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
Does the manual have it ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
C2atb said:
Colin Lambert said:
Does the manual have it ?
Yep

·
Registered
216 Posts
How does one activate this on a manual ?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
As far as I know, not having a manual, release the handbrake, depress the clutch pedal, put it in 1st, rev the nuts off it and then dump the clutch!
Can you imagine what a shock that transmits through the whole transmission. :shock:
Super cars are built to withstand this sort of mis-treatment, but I doubt very much that the K will put up with being abused like that.
Try it once if you must just for the hell of it. But personally I certainly would not make a habit of doing so. :?

·
Registered
421 Posts
C2atb said:
How does one activate this on a manual ?
:lol: sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant "is it in the car manual" :lol: :lol:

I'd suspect it isn't as just like flooring any car you have to change gear quickly. You have to hold the brake and floor it before releasing the brake. I'm assuming that would be tricky in a manual unless you've got 3 feet.

Edit: of course you're not going anywhere without letting the clutch go so the brake is surplus to requirements.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Also, if you did have the handbrake on you don't have to let it off as it will let go itself as soon as the car starts moving.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh my days................................

Having watched the video I had to try it......Footbrake on with left foot, ignition on, electric brake off, traction control off, sport mode on, stop/start off, DSG to drive (select sports gears), right foot on the gas till its revving well........'launch Control active' comes up on screen in front of me......release the footbrake and wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww we're off :D

Hadn't expected that from a big brute of an SUV.....I only did 100 yards before my wife screamed STOP I don't like it!!!!!!!!!

It's a lot quicker than you'd expect, just takes a bit of setting up, so not something you can easily use when you pull up at the lights on the duel-carriageway!
Seriously pleased to have a little extra toy to play with, which made me smile for the rest of the journey.

·
Registered
52 Posts
well spotted...had to read that several times to find it.......you say dual i say duel lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
sparkymark said:
Having watched the video I had to try it......Footbrake on with left foot, ignition on, electric brake off, traction control off, sport mode on, stop/start off, DSG to drive (select sports gears), right foot on the gas till its revving well........'launch Control active' comes up on screen in front of me......release the footbrake and wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww we're off :D
You only need to do the following to activate it (no need to change the stop/start or handbrake settings)
Turn off the traction control
Put the DSG 'S' mode
(Note that it also won't engage until the engine has been running for a period of time - I haven't managed to determine the time, but I'm assuming it's to ensure it's warmed up)

Worth highlighting that the car in the video is a 4x4. Launch control works really well on those (having had it on 3 Quattro TTs previously) as there's plenty of grip when you launch and the car just goes forward...

Having tried it a couple of times on my FWD Kodiaq, the front tyres have just light up and I've had to release the throttle a little.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks, will try that method too.
The wheels do scramble a bit when it takes off.......didn't go for 4x4 this time, but probably won't be launching it too often anyway! Nice bit of technology though. Love the DSG gearbox, had it previously in a Seat Alhambra.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts