Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for the 1.4 TSI owners:

I have been torn between the 1.4 TSI 150 and the 2.0 TSI motors - I seem to like the 1.4 TSI a lot and could do with the upfront saving and better mileage. I definitely want the DSG and really don't need the 4WD. My typical use is myself, wife & our 5yo but my sis-in-law and her husband stay close by visit us frequently on the weekends or we visit them and go out together. From all the reviews it seems that while the 1.4TSI does a great job at hauling 2 adults but may feel lethargic with 4 adults. How true is that? Does the 1.4 TSI Kodiaq feel under powered hauling 4 adults? I really don't want to cut a sorry figure in front of my bro-in-law especially :D .

·
Registered
617 Posts
It's best to test drive it with 4 adults and check for yourself. I checked it out yesterday and I was surprised at how powerful the 1.4 TSi engine is....I even overtook another car going from 40 to 60mph and it had enough grunt to overtake comfortably. Although my test drive was only with 2 adults...

Whatcar and Telegraph feel 1.4 TSi is adequate for a full load, while some other reviews don't think so. It's personal perception.

This video might help:

A 2WD car will be about 85kg lighter than a 4WD, which will help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
As mentioned, people expectations vary, unfortunately I doubt there will be many, if any, 2.0 petrol demo's.
Still you can at least test a 1.4 out with 4+1 :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
The 1.4 tsi in dsg form and 2wd is 1594kg and 1662kg if 4wd. The 2.0tsi only comes in 4wd with kerbweight of 1744kg. That weight difference is a couple of adults even before factoring in passengers.

FWIW, the 1.4tsi is enough for my needs which include the occasional trip with 6 adults and a child. The money saved on the original outlay I used to add options.

·
Registered
314 Posts
bigboss said:
It's best to test drive it with 4 adults and check for yourself. I checked it out yesterday and I was surprised at how powerful the 1.4 TSi engine is....I even overtook another car going from 40 to 60mph and it had enough grunt to overtake comfortably. Although my test drive was only with 2 adults...

Whatcar and Telegraph feel 1.4 TSi is adequate for a full load, while some other reviews don't think so. It's personal perception.

This video might help:

Of course 85kg weight saving will help (it's the weight of a 13 stone adult) but the loss in torque will make more of a difference:
200 Nm for the 125 bhp 1.4
250 Nm for the 150 bhp 1.4
320 Nm for the 180 bhp 2.0

romanv said:
I know a person with a 2-kids family driving 1.2 tsi 105 hp Superb. He says the car is very responsive. I am still staying with 190 hp ;)
Everyones needs are different but coming from a 420 Nm Yeti and 505 Nm Superb, you can see why I have my doubts about a 320 Nm 2.0 TSi being 'enough' (for us)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bigboss said:

This video might help:

Thanks a ton @bigboss - Matt Watson's review is very helpful (and I am such a fan of his videos!). He seems to be driving the 4x4 version, so I would assume that the 2wd version could be even quicker, especially in the 50-70 mph dash. Not so much interested in the launch control part.

Doing a test drive only tells you so much - I shall definitely do one before I make my purchase. Its the experience of people who are living with it daily that counts more imo. So far I am getting more and more convinced on the 2wd DSG.

MoominPapa said:
The money saved on the original outlay I used to add options.
Exactly my thinking- I'd rather load up on kit and options than a 4wd that I'll probably never use or extra power that will simply guzzle more most of the time. Speaking of which, any real life mpg numbers on the 1.4 TSI so far?

·
Registered
314 Posts
MoominPapa said:
The 1.4 tsi in dsg form and 2wd is 1594kg and 1662kg if 4wd. The 2.0tsi only comes in 4wd with kerbweight of 1744kg. That weight difference is a couple of adults even before factoring in passengers.

FWIW, the 1.4tsi is enough for my needs which include the occasional trip with 6 adults and a child. The money saved on the original outlay I used to add options.
According to the Škoda technical info:

1.4 TSi 150 PS DSG 1514 - 1633kg
1.4 TSi 150 PS 4x4 DSG 1593 -1693 kg (60 kg heavier)
2.0 TSi 180 PS 4x4 DSG 1663 - 1766 kg (73 kg heavier than the 4x4, 133 kg heavier than the 2WD) - a total of 21 stone heavier than the 2WD

So a
150 TSi 2WD has 92 bhp per tonne (153 Nm per tonne)
150 TSi 4x4 has 89 bhp per tonne (147 Nm per tonne)
180 TSi 4x4 has 102 bhp per tonne (181 Nm per tonne)

So as you can see a 2.0 has just over 10% more power/torque to weight than even the 2WD 1.4 150 which is further backed up by the 0 - 62 mph times (DSG):

125 TSi 2WD = 10.5s
150 TDi 2WD = 10.3s
150 TDi 4x4 = 10.2s
150 TSi 2WD = 9.6s
150 TSi 4x4 = 9.9s
190 TDi 4x4 = 9.1s
180 TSi 4x4 = 8.2s

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I don't know why everyone is getting so sexed up about 0-62 times. It is NOT a sports car!
I have just taken a friend out (he owns a 535Beemer twin turbo, 0-62 in 5 seconds. His comments were "Bloody hell that's quick, what size engine is it?"
When I told him it was 1.4 he didn't believe me and once it's freed up it will be even quicker.
I admit the pulling power of the 2.0L TSi would be improved over the 1.4, but I don't need it and for the extra cost of car, 4WD, fuel VED (first year) I would not entertain it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Colin I agree with the 0-62 times BUT where they are useful is comparing two otherwise identical cars.

We are all different and require different things out of a car, if a 125 hp 1.4 is more than adequate for your needs then great... you can save a shed load of cash, but some will even find the biggest hp engine lacking.

This is why reviews are pretty pointless with regard to which engine to go for, a test drive is needed to see what suits your needs based on hp, torque, mpg and cost.

·
Registered
503 Posts
True, if there was a version with the 280 tsi from the Superb, I would have ordered that without a second thought.
I will be dropping 40bhp and 20nm and gaining weight over the vRS, but I am fairly confident it will do what I need :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same struggle but finally chose the 2.0tsi, I think the key deciding factor is really your style of driving! The 1.4 will happily carry 4+ adults in most situations, it's not going to fail you from point A to point B even with 6 or 7 adults. But if you do a lot of uphill climbing carrying a full load, or if you enjoy swifty overtakes or would like to hit over 185km/h occasionally on motorways, you want the 2.0. Apart from that, the 1.4 is an extremely refined engine and with the ACT system you can be sure that it's gonna be a very economical, Very!

·
Registered
617 Posts
185km/hr? Which country?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the 1.4tsi 4x4 5 seat SE I've had 4 adults in it, rather large adults at that, it wanted to go faster. I don't think you'll have any worries. It sounds a weak engine for the size but it's not..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Savage said:
TBH ACT was another reason to stay away from the 1.4 IMO, but that's a personal thing.
Why?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Like I say , a personal thing, maybe only justified by my own mind ;)
1. Don't like the idea of cylinders moving at high speed but not "working".
2. Possible reliability problems.
3. If I want to save fuel, my right foot works well enough :)

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Why should 2 cylinders 'freewheeling' worry you.?
There is no explosion so no stresses involved I can't see how this could possibly cause problems with the mechanicals of the engine, It is activated by a slider on the cam shaft. (See video below) It is the 2 centre cylinders that are de-activated so the engine is still inbalance.
The other reason not to worry is that it is very tricky to get it to ACTUALLY happen. 30mph , very light right foot and flat road and it will work. Even a slight tickle on the throttle brings them back to life and it doesn't work on the over run either.
I'm not in the slightest worried. VAG have had it working in VDubs for some time. I have friend that has had two Golf 1.4 DSG ACT with no problems at all.
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/petrol/active-cylinder-technology-act

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same dilemma but in order to take delivery when I hand my current car back I had to order before a test drive car was available. I had a drive in a 1.4 TSI 150 4x4 manual se l.
Three adults in the car and I tend to drive quite quickly, there is no worries here, the car pulled nicely through every gear and I safely managed an overtake of a dawdling superb test driven from the same dealer. I was also pleasantly surprised with how smooth and quiet it was, although at speed there was some wind noise high up on the doors, too high for the mirrors, possibly roof rails?
I will point out that I'm buying the kodiaq on practicality and value, my missus mini cooper is enough fun for a short run if the mood takes

1 - 20 of 35 Posts