Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I wasn't quite sure what topic to post this under so went for this one:

Last night I went to see my dealer to finalise paper work etc. pay the final deposit and drop off my private plates. I'll try not to make this a long story and I'm no techy person when it comes to vehicles, so here goes....

The original spec we liked was unavailable and would have been ordered directly from the factory, the dealer did have in stock (well on its way to them) the SE L 7 Seater, the only difference was not full leather (not the end of the world), 7 seats instead of 5 and a few other bits, ironically the colour choice was my wife's 1st choice but 2nd/3rd for me but I'm growing to like it a lot. But it did come in cheaper per month on PCP which fitted with us perfectly :D

But we still wanted front parking sensors and more importantly was the tow bar which the dealer added on and said would be fitted once they had the vehicle on their premises.

I hope you are still awake :lol:

The finance guy came out to sort out the paper work and mentioned they had an issue with the tow bar / cost / Skoda. The quote I received for the tow bar was £839 (give or take a pound or two) at the time of ordering and this would be the same that Skoda would have fitted at the factory. The dealership when ordering the tow bar from Skoda UK were informed that extra items are required that they did not know about. This only applies to the 1.4 petrol and not any other model.

So, the dealership needs 6 parts, one of them being a upgraded Radiator which is needed if towing. The other 5 parts comprise of the tow bar and other bits.

Total cost to the dealership £2537, this does not include the expected 8 / 9 man hours of work. The cost they are looking at is around £3500.

The annoying aspect is 4 of the parts are not available in the UK and need to come directly from Skoda, so next week I'll collect the bear without the tow bar and return back to the dealership when they have all the parts in, either end of Nov or sometime in Dec. They'll then have the bear for 2 or 3 days in the workshop having this work done.

Fair paly to the dealership, this is not a additional cost they are passing onto me but taking the hit themselves. They will now advise other customers only to have it fitted at the factory and not to have the tow bar fitted afterwards as no one would want to pay £3500, but they worry that the customer will go elsewhere, get one fitted at a far cheaper price and then hit problems of the radiator not being up to standard and possibly causing engine problems which to them would NOT BE COVERED under warranty as the customer has not followed what Skoda recommend. Likewise when the bear becomes more popular as a 2nd hand vehicle how many customers with the 1.4 petrol will opt for a after market tow bar and hit problems.

Regards

Dave

PS I hope I've not bored you with the above

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
What a buggas muddle!
Not bored at all. all info is useful. thanks for posting your tale of woe.
Hope it all gets sorted soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fingers crossed it will get sorted and be all ok, good news is I don't need to tow anything urgently so I'm happy to wait.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hope everything sorted and you'll enjoy riding your bear.But Can I ask what's the connection between the towbar and radiator?TIA :roll: :ugeek:

·
Registered
188 Posts
BigSilv said:
Can I ask what's the connection between the towbar and radiator?
A car with a towbar is likely to be used for towing something, and the thing towed might be up to 1.8 tonnes (for the 1.4 DSG - more for other models). When you're towing and drive a fair distance uphill, it produces far more heat in the engine and gearbox than with just the car, so manufacturers often fit better cooling - often including, at the bottom of the radiator, a section specifically for cooling the gear oil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you DaveM for the explanation, the dealership did mention heat/gearbox :) but all over my head.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try Vagtec.co.uk. I had the similar tale re dealer fitted towbars etc. I had genuine parts retro fitted for the front sensors,and a rear view camera . All plumbed in and computer updated for just over £1k and a witter tow bar for £350. It's only for serious Caravan / heavy trailer towing you will need up rated oil coolers etc. Vag Tec come to you and only do VW group.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Dave M...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All

Tow bar is now fitted on my SE L 7 1.4 Petrol bear :) - I did post a while back with the details of what happened at the point of purchase and what the dealership said afterwards.

The bear was away for 1 week having all the required parts replaced, upgraded or installed. I must say a Big Thank You to Garland Motors - Aldershott. They also completed a recall issue for me (never knew there was one).

Everything is nice and neat :) Although I dread to think of the final cost.

One small glitch, could be related or not but when using the bear for any journey (except a 3 day period of driving where it behaved) I get at least 2 / 5 times the Front Assist warning light coming on - nothing in front of me, speed ranges of 5mph to 50mph. I'll report it to Garland and see what they say.

Finally - Every day I travel through the A3 Hindhead tunnel, after 100 meters DAB radio loses it signal, TBH I never thought much about it. The courtesy car Garland gave me (Octavia) did not suffer from this so I went delving - in the radio settings on the Octavia there is a setting for DAB - FM Automatic switching which was ticked. When I got the bear back the same setting was also ticked but it does not cut over to DAB - any ideas?

Regards

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Skoda really don't help themselves.

If they don't want their customers to add an aftermarket towbar to the 1.4 TSI without the upgraded cooling system then why do they offer the £190 'tow bar preparation' factory option, when it doesn't include any cooling system related components.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts