Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short review and my experience with DTE Systems tuning boxes.

PowerControl is a 3-channel "powerbox" that controls and tunes the following:
- Common Rail,
- Boost,
- RPM.

PowerControl has 3 preloaded profiles [maps] developed, tried and tested on a dyno for a specific car and engine - it is not one of those cheap generic chips that fits all cars.

DTE Systems profiles description:
- Eco [green LED] - tuning is active in lower RPM spectrum; in higher it is again standard,
- Dynamic [orange LED] - tuning is active in whole RPM spectrum but it is somehow smoother and minimally weaker than next profile
- Sport [red LED] - tuning is strong and active in whole RPM spectrum.
The above profiles can be additionally fine-tuned with the +/- buttons.

Please note that above description is not valid for DTUK boxes, as they use different software. Here's their approach to the settings:
DTUK said:
We always advise testing the various settings of a DTUK system and this is the only way to get the best from the system.
A session on a rolling road can tell you which setting gets the most power on your particular car. Miles of back to back testing can tell you which setting gets the best economy on your particular car.
Friendly internet forum users can tell you which setting they like on their own personal car. But, no one except you can tell you which setting YOU like to use. Our happiest customers are always those who take the time to explore the various options from their chosen system.
Interesting fact: for the 2.0 TDI 150KM engine, actual power and torque increases are: +35-40HP and +70-80Nm. So, in fact the PowerControl turns the engine into 190HP version. The official info provides lower values due to TÜV certification but in reality the dyno show much better results [dyno graphs available on the website].

DTE Systems PedalBox

PedalBox optimizes the reaction time of modern vehicles with an electronic accelerator pedal. With the PedalBox, the vehicle reacts much faster to incoming signals from the accelerator pedal. With an improved throttle response, the driver can speed up and overtake more easily.

Both "boxes" greatly improve the responsiveness and make the driving experience a lot more dynamic. With extra power, torque and the way they are delivered, especially in sporty settings, you have to be careful with the gas pedal so as not to burn the rubber [especially with FWD] and draw attention from bystanders. The biggest advantage is no delay in power delivery, the vehicle responds as soon as the accelerator is depressed - no more lag!

Make no mistake, the boxes will not turn your 2-ton SUV into a racing car and the performance gain might not be as mind-blowing as with the aggressive chip, engine or exhaust tuning, etc. Instead, with DTE Systems everything is tuned with safety and durability in mind [btw, manufacturer offers 2-year warranty on the engine, ECU and differential].

DTE Systems products are certified by German and Austrian TÜV. Installation of the entire system is very simple and takes about 10-15 minutes; and about 5 minutes to remove the boxes without any trace. Everything is very well made - you will appreciate the proverbial German precision and quality. If I had to pick on something it would be the price. On the other hand, you get what we paid for.

Below you can see few instruction videos from the DTUK [Andrew from DTUK worked for 12 years with DTE Systems]:

Installation of 2-channel box:

Removal of 3-channel box:

Settings of the box:

And the most important - the numbers:

Please note that above numbers are mostly conservative due to the TÜV certification.
I believe the actual output is closer to what DTUK claims on their website, e.g. for 2.0 TDI 150 HP:

Please, feel free to share your experience with DTE/DTUK.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stevekhart said:
BikeBert said:
I've got DTE Systems PowerControl and PedalBox. Works really well, especially when paired with PedalBox that greatly improves throttle response and makes the car more fun to drive. Money well spent. Plus it's quick to install and easy to remove without any trace. Will try to write some more detailed review later on.
So if you go for the PowerControl it's still worth adding the PedalBox to improve the throttle lag? How is the PowerControl without the PedalBox?
I would rather suggest to start with PedalBox first, since PowerControl does not improve the throttle lag.
In my opinion, the PowerControl alone [without PedalBox] does not bring such noticeable effect in such a heavy car as Kodiaq.

·
Registered
95 Posts
BikeBert said:
I would rather suggest to start with PedalBox first, since PowerControl does not improve the throttle lag.
In my opinion, the PowerControl alone [without PedalBox] does not bring such noticeable effect in such a heavy car as Kodiaq.
So PedalBox will improve the throttle response, but presumably doesn't increase the overall power? If you want to increase the power of, say, a 150PS to be more like a 190PS, presumably you need the PowerControl to do that?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stevekhart said:
BikeBert said:
So PedalBox will improve the throttle response, but presumably doesn't increase the overall power? If you want to increase the power of, say, a 150PS to be more like a 190PS, presumably you need the PowerControl to do that?
Precisely. But addition of PedalBox is more noticeable than adding PowerControl.
I would only consider two options: PedalBox or PowerControl+PedalBox.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Be aware!
1. Most insurance companies will NOT COVER power conversions of this type. Aviva certainly don't. Check first or be prepared to suffer the consequences!
2. I have not confirmed it and don't want to ask Skoda incase of stirring up trouble. But I think, without doubt, any such fitment will invalidate the warranty.
3. Aviva (and other Insurers) have said that fitment of the pedal box (RaceChip XLR at least) will NOT invalidate the insurance, nor affect the cover provide nor the premium. It also does not affect MPG.
Not sure about the warranty, but since it is a 10 minute job to disconnect it, I am risking it.
If Skoda produce a £30K + car with such terrible throttle lag they should be prepared to put up with the consequences of owners trying to correct their shortcomings!!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I was being generous to those less mechanically inclined than you and me ;)
I t took me about 10 minutes to fit the XLR. being as old(!) as I am and with a bad back it took that amount of time trying to wriggle myself into position. I put the 'brain' in a very hand hole just in front of the A pillar, but it had to be padded as the return edges are very sharp.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ok so how do you fit it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
steve1k said:
ok so how do you fit it
Please see below excerpt from the 1st post:

BikeBert said:
DTE Systems products are certified by German and Austrian TÜV. Installation of the entire system is very simple and takes about 10-15 minutes; and about 5 minutes to remove the boxes without any trace.

Below you can see few instruction videos from the DTUK [Andrew from DTUK worked for 12 years with DTE Systems]:

Settings of the box:

·
Registered
175 Posts
BikeBert said:
Precisely. But addition of PedalBox is more noticeable than adding PowerControl.
I would only consider two options: PedalBox or PowerControl+PedalBox.
I'm comforted to hear that.
I have fitted a pedalbox, and it's giving me exactly the throttle response I want.
I have however a private questioning of power chipping making the car even more enjoyable? BikeBert says improvement is marginal, and to be honest I seldom bury the pedal in the floor mat, so for me chipping would be a waste of money, warrantee, and insurance cover.

·
Registered
69 Posts
BikeBert said:
steve1k said:
ok so how do you fit it
Please see below excerpt from the 1st post:

BikeBert said:
DTE Systems products are certified by German and Austrian TÜV. Installation of the entire system is very simple and takes about 10-15 minutes; and about 5 minutes to remove the boxes without any trace.

Settings of the box:
thanks bikerbert.

Have you fitted one to your Bear.
Ive got the 2.0 TSI 180 Edition 4x4 DSG 7 seat so will it make much difference fitting one economy wise more MPG

·
Registered
175 Posts
steve1k said:
Have you fitted one to your Bear.
Ive got the 2.0 TSI 180 Edition 4x4 DSG 7 seat so will it make much difference fitting one economy wise more MPG
I'm runnng the same motor as you, and fitted pedal box about 7,000 miles ago. No noticeable difference to economy +or-

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
steve1k & KodiaqPetrolHead - sorry to burst your bubble but PedalBox is not designed to improve MPG, just acceleration.

However, DTE claims fuel savings of up to 15% can be achieved with PowerControl. There is an efficiency mode that [with an optimized torque and extra power already available at low RPMs] allows to change gears sooner and drive longer in lower gears to save fuel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts